First vintage watch--recommendations?

Thread: First vintage watch--recommendations?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First vintage watch--recommendations?

I am in the market for a watch to replace the rather unremarkable one that I am currently wearing. After some consideration, I've decided that I'd like to dip my toe into the vintage watch waters. If my current level of fascination persists, it seems likely that I will be purchasing more vintage watches in the future. For the time being, however, I am looking for a solid vintage watch for daily (though fairly low impact) wear. I lean towards a clean aesthetic without too much fussiness and would prefer an automatic mechanism. I do not have a limitless budget, but would like to purchase something that will hold its value. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Re: First vintage watch--recommendations?

Hi there and welcome!

Its a dangerous game vintage watch collecting... once you start... there is no turning back

When you say Solid Silver? do you mean Silver? or Silver in Colour... Stainless Steel? Chrome?

What era of watches are you looking for? Deco style? post war? 60s? 70s?

You would like a Automatic movement.. do you want features like Day/Date display?

How big (case size) and what size case are you looking for? I only ask, as 'vintage' watches can be smaller in size to modern day watches... if you are looking for similar size to modern watches... you may want to look at 60s and later!

Whats your budget?

A bit more info and im sure we can find you something!!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Thanks a lot for the response. I know I threw out a pretty open-ended request... To respond to your questions:
    --if I mentioned silver, I did not intend to do so. My guess is that stainless steel cases will be best suited to the purpose, but I am open to other materials as well.
    --at this point, I am fairly open with respect to era.
    --date display would be useful, but is not essential. as a quirk...i'm not overly fond of the cyclops aesthetic.
    --absolutely do not need a big case. probably not much smaller than 34 or 35 mm, but needn't be as big as current fashion would seem to dictate.
    --as for budget, well...like anyone else, I'd prefer to spend less (and save money for other watches, perhaps) but could probably commit $1500 to this purchase.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That helps to narrow it down!

I think you have a large budget for a vintage watch... you could buy some very nice, great quality watches for a 3rd of that... if not less!

That said... you could easily spend that kind of money too... if you are looking to 'invest' your $1500 in watches... it may not lose your money... but chances are, it wont make you lots either - Unless you buy very well!

Here are some links to some ebay listings... just as examples... and to get your opinion - to help narrow the search!

1956 VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER, SS STEEL - The Original | eBay UK

Omega Seamaster 120 Automatic Cal 563 Super Rare WOW!!! | eBay UK

1950´s VINTAGE ZENITH 2600 AUTOMATIC WATCH MEN´S NICE | eBay UK

A Gents S/S 1959 Rolex Oyster Date Precision Wristwatch | eBay UK

Now.. im not suggesting you buy any of these watches... it just a quick selection to see if there are any styles/features you like.. I realise they are not all Auto watches... but like I said.. just trying to get an idea on style/type... You may not like any of them!
    Last edited by Sparcster; May 16th, 2011 at 21:21.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Also...

With your budget.. I think its very important you try to get to see the actual watch you want to buy.. even if its to try it on.. then look else where to buy it cheaper!... do you have any watch shops close to you that stock vintage watches?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You could consider a Universal Geneve Polerouter:

There are quite a few around, well within your budget, and - dare I say it - not as predictable as an Omega.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    There are quite a few around, well within your budget, and - dare I say it - not as predictable as an Omega.
    Yeah... I noticed my selection seemed a bit weighted towards Omega... but like I said... its not the actual watch.. more different styles!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Very helpful, both. I should be clear...I feel no compulsion to spend $$$ on a watch. Would much prefer to spend less than the stated budget. Of the suggestions, I like the 1956 Seamaster and the Oyster Date (though with the caveat--and apologies to enthusiasts--that I'm not too fond of the Rolex cyclops date display), and think the Universal Geneve Polerouter is pretty cool as well (hadn't seen one previously). I do indeed have a shop nearby, though the owner/watchmaker is probably tired of me hanging around the store without buying anything. An important question is raised...how do you folks feel about buying watches from eBay?

Hi. Good thinking looking into vintage. Whatever money you spend goes further in a vintage watch. I have purchased many of my watches in person. Especially starting out this is nice because seeing the watch on your wrist is an important aspect of figuring out what you like and what you don't. Later when you have a feel for the styles, periods and makers then it is easier to sort-of guess whether you will like it on.

I purchase the occassional watch off ebay but I would be very careful buying any of the more "premium" names without quite a bit of background. It has been said on this board a thousand time but...Buy the seller as much as the watch.

Maybe consider a nice Hamilton automatic...good supply but not common in the watch wearing public. Excellent quality at a reasonable price.

Here is my favorite auto in my collection - A Girard-Perregaux. About 35 mm case. Not expensive. Dates (probably) to the early 1940s...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information