First Vintage Watch - Rodana Chronograph
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: First Vintage Watch - Rodana Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

First Vintage Watch - Rodana Chronograph

Thought I'd post some pics, and see what additional information you guys might be able to throw my way. A search here and on the rest of the interest leads me to think that it has the the Landeron 48 movement, and the watch itself was made sometimes in the 40s. It runs well, so far. A few things wrong with it, though - the chrono doesn't reset to zero, it's a little dirty (inside and out). And there are definitely some scratches on the case, though no significant dents and gouges. I took it in to a local independent watch repairer / seller who I particularly trust, and who I know works on a lot of vintage. He said the internals look good, it could use a re-lube, and a cleaning. And he'd reset the chrono to zero. Should run me about $300, on top of the $400 I paid.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  209.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  178.2 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  207.6 KB
    Stigmata likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Re: First Vintage Watch - Rodana Chronograph

There's been a recent post on here that discussed this type movement, but I can't recall the title. Maybe someone can help me.

But anyways, it isn't a "true" chronograph, per se. I've heard it described as a chronometer and a "lap timer".
    The watch won't keep time while you use it, so you have to reset the time after you use the timer.

PS - I still think they are cool watches. I believe they are a one jewel movement, as well. Neat, historical time pieces and still attractive looking, in my opinion.
    Last edited by JP71624; July 17th, 2013 at 03:50.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

Quote Originally Posted by JP71624 View Post
    There's been a recent post on here that discussed this type movement, but I can't recall the title. Maybe someone can help me.

But anyways, it isn't a "true" chronograph, per se. I've heard it described as a chronometer and a "lap timer".
    The watch won't keep time while you use it, so you have to reset the time after you use the timer.

PS - I still think they are cool watches. I believe they are a one jewel movement, as well. Neat, historical time pieces and still attractive looking, in my opinion.
    I know what You mean, but this one does really like like a real chronograph, and a Landeron 48-family movement is not unlikely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by o.v.e View Post
    I know what You mean, but this one does really like like a real chronograph, and a Landeron 48-family movement is not unlikely.
    I could certainly be wrong. Just thought I have seen this brand before in the style I mentioned. If so, ignore my comments.

JP
    That was a completely different watch, see here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...re-887293.html
    This is a 100% true chronograph with a sub seconds at 9 and 30 minute counter at 3
    I suspect there is some mechanical issue with the bottom pusher NOT resetting to zero.
    I presume the bottom button stops the chrono, but pressing it again does not zero it.
    Does it return it to any position? If so that is a most simple fix

Regards
    adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 17th, 2013 at 10:01.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    JP
    That was a completely different watch, see here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...re-887293.html
    This is a 100% true chronograph with a sub seconds at 9 and 30 minute counter at 3
    I suspect there is some mechanical issue with the bottom pusher NOT resetting to zero.
    I presume the bottom button stops the chrono, but pressing it again does not zero it.
    Does it return it to any position? If so that is a most simple fix

Regards
    adam
    Thanks, Adam.
    I must have seen one of those cheap watches with a similar name. My apologies, all.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    "Time flies when you're throwing watches."
    What has a man profited, if he gains the whole world yet forfeits his soul? Mt16:26
    IG: @BuyingOnTime

maybe a Landeron 47? reset with crown (predecessor of landeron 48).
    regards enrico

Thanks, Adam.
    I must have seen one of those cheap watches with a similar name. My apologies, all.
    No need to apologies - I had neither seen that movement before
    Regards
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Thanks for all the great responses guys. It's definitely a true chrono - tried playing around with it some more last night, and the second and minute hands keep operating while I'm running the chrono. It resets with the lower button - not the crown. Not sure if that helps with movement ID.

Also - and the good news for repair work - is that the chrono does work well, it just resets off of 12 - so hopefully that means it's a smaller issue to rectify than would otherwise be the case.

I've been pretty impressed with the power reserve. While nothing like a modern watch, a slightly less than full winding took me through all of yesterday afternoon, and well into the wee hours of the morning - at least 14 - 16 hours before it died. Hopefully a cleaning and servicing will extend that. Time keeping wise it isn't WAY off - I didn't see a noticable variation after wearing it for 12 hours yesterday.

Anyway, love it, glad I finally took a step into the vintage watch world - I'm sure there will be a couple more on my wrist soon.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

The crown on this watch will only wind and set hands
    Top button starts AND STOP the minute center sweep hand.
    The seconds counter at 9 - should NOT stop even if sweep center hand is stopped
    Bottom button should re-set 'sweep minute hand' to 12.
    If its sitting it say to 11 or 1 - then that is a very minor 1 minute fix.
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 17th, 2013 at 18:40.

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information