First Waltham Lady watch?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By artb
  • 1 Post By artb

Thread: First Waltham Lady watch?

First Waltham Lady watch?

After years of neglecting available serial number listings, have finally excercised the Waltham list. I believe this old 10 size was first one they advertised as made for women. Not too common with 500 movements made 1874-5. Less common as Appleton Tracy grade in original 18k unblemished case. I do not believe ever serviced but after 136 years runs freely with little spring pressure. It demonstrates why the Americans used to lead with their watch designs for the general population.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 11th, 2011 at 20:33.
    pmwas likes this.

Re: First Waltham Lady watch?

Congrats on the Pick-up!

General condition looks pretty good andlike the hand design,

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Art,

That's certainly a beauty of a watch in an even better case.

With that said, though, your watch represents an 1865 model, which was not the earliest Lady Waltham model. The earliest was the 1861 model, a very similar movement also in 10 size that differs primarily visually in the shape and design of the winding eustacion, as well as the lack of the "Fogg's Safety Pinion" marking around the center keywind arbor(although many 1865 models also lack the Fogg's marking).

I'm looking at an 1862 catalog now which describes the P. S. Bartlett and Appleton, Tracy & Co. grade of these, as well as a third grade-the American Watch Company grade. The NAWCC database reports only 10 of the American Watch Company grade of these, although Erhardt V1 lists a run of these from 45,801 to 46,200 and lists it as 12 size. So, I suppose, it technically shouldn't be included in this discussion.

It appears as though you're missing the key guard on the center setting(a photo of one of mine below to illustrate the point).

I really like these little ladies' sized movements. They're a great and(relatively) inexpensive way to collect early, 3/4 plate Waltham keywinds. They're much more affordable than the "big brother" 1859, 1860, and 1862 models, plus haven't attracted as much collector attention so largely haven't been messed around with as much.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; December 11th, 2011 at 21:20.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ben: Really appreciate the thorough explanation. Surprised at 1861 for 10 size origin. Maybe you could comment on this 1884 8 size?Is shown on Waltham listing as 700 in 1884 in both 8s and 6s. The case is marked Waltham as though made there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 11th, 2011 at 23:24.
    pmwas likes this.

Thread Information