Fix Rare Pocket Watch from Great Great Grandfather?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Fix Rare Pocket Watch from Great Great Grandfather?

Fix Rare Pocket Watch from Great Great Grandfather?

Hi all... question about this pocket watch I just received from my Grandmother. It was her great Grandfathers and I wanted to see if I could get it fixed. I just got back from the watch shop and he is going to do an estimate for me, but I thought I would ask you as well...

It has an alarm function on it (which I hear is somewhat rare), but it only has 1 jewel. The watch maker said it might not be worth fixing because it was cheaply made - because of only having 1 jewel, which kind of sucks (if it's true).

It's a Simplon Swiss Made with Cesar Renfer -Abrecht markings on it. Any advice on whether or not to fix it, is it cheap, what would you suggest?? Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks!

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fix Rare Pocket Watch from Great Great Grandfather?

An interesting watch - but as your watchmaker has said, rather cheaply made. The movement is, I think, this one: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Baumgartner 222 neu

Well, Horlogerie César Renfer-Abrecht registered the trademark for "Simplon" in 1925. It's the only thing ever registered by them, so they probably weren't in business long. The style is of the "dollar watch" variety; think Timex from the 20's. The goal was quantity over quality; they made millions like this, and very few of them remain because people just threw them out when they stopped working. Nowadays, they're difficult to repair when they break because there aren't a lot of spare parts or donor movements left, and the cost of making new parts from scratch is prohibitive. It'll probably never be worth what it'll cost to fix it (even if it's a simple fix). On the other hand, you'll never have a fifth generation heirloom like it ever again, so what's the worth to you?
    Mirius likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The patent number on the movement was filed by Baumgartner in 1942 Espacenet - results view if that helps with dating.

There's also a US import code on the balance cock (I can't quite make it out though). That means it was imported into the US prior to 1968. The import code will relate to the company that imported it (not the manufacturer) though. There's another Simplon registration listed in 1960 for "Kardstadt AG", a German company. Since I doubt there were two active companies using the same trade name, I'd wager that your Simplon would have been made and sold before that, and there wasn't a lot of importing done during the war, so figure late 40's to mid 50's.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you very much for your replies!! I am really eager to hear if it's able to fixed but as some of you said - I'm not sure whether it's worth it or not.

However, when I got it and thought I could start to wear a pocket watch, I got excited, as I have never owned one before. If I can't fix this one I might consider buying one for myself.

Would you recommend new or used? And are there any decent pocket watches out there for around $150??

Thread Information