Fixed Lugs Watch Question
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Fixed Lugs Watch Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixed Lugs Watch Question

So I got myself this ww2 era military watch and it has fixed lugs. I wanted to know if its possible to "break" the lugs and replace them with normal removable lugs, so I can use 2 piece nato strap on it instead of a normal nato strap which I don't like.
    Can it be done if I use the right tools or is it too risky? or is it too dangerous and should only be performed by an expert (I cant take it to an expert because I'm short on money at the moment so It's not really an option)

I attached some pictures of the watch here:

Name:  IMG-20190630-WA0008.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  140.8 KB
    Name:  IMG-20190630-WA0009.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  109.3 KB
    Name:  IMG-20190630-WA0006.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  83.3 KB
    Name:  IMG-20190630-WA0007.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  81.5 KB

Re: Fixed Lugs Watch Question

Please don't do that. It's your watch, but I hope you choose to leave the watch in its correct state. It has survived for a long time.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

CISCO...Hello!

I reckon Dan S. makes a very good point, and I rather agree with him...consider leaving it as it is.

I have several old watches that I've thought of 'changing', but I resist the urge: put them away for a while / focus on another watch / go back to the piece I considered 'changing ' / discovered myself happy that I did not alter it.

Then again: you're the Keeper here, and it's your decision...proceed thoughtfully!

Michael.
    SunnyOrange likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you and I appreciate your responds. Can you help me decide on a strap? or perhaps recommend me one? I've been looking online but couldn't find anything to my liking yet. I am not a fan of nato straps (the kind that wraps your wrist and then you have a lot of strap spare) but I am looking for a military style strap. I like 2 piece canvas straps but maybe there's a strap that is a combination of the two?

What about a simple one-piece canvas strap without the extra NATO flap.

Name:  strap.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  410.5 KB

The original strap would have been a canvas pull through strap. It is similar to this type

https://www.esslinger.com/striped-18...YaAtrIEALw_wcB

Just a simple rugged comfortable fitting strap. Even up until the 1980's some of the watches the US military issued came on these type of straps

There is also the open lug type leather strap which attaches with a bendable tab.

It would be a shame to alter this watch

Plus the watch looks to be plated so depending upon your sweat ph, the case could start getting corroded/eaten away with your sweat. It is better to have something between your wrist and the watch case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    What about a simple one-piece canvas strap without the extra NATO flap.

Name:  strap.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  410.5 KB
    Wow! this strap is beautiful and exactly my type. I looked it up online but it seems that this strap fits only for 20mm lugs. my watch lugs are between 16-18mm. If you can help me find another strap with the same style i'll be very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by ClSCO View Post
    Wow! this strap is beautiful and exactly my type. I looked it up online but it seems that this strap fits only for 20mm lugs. my watch lugs are between 16-18mm. If you can help me find another strap with the same style i'll be very grateful.
    Here is one: https://www.mwc-usa.com/products/ret...in-desert-sand

Search for canvas one-piece straps, etc. These are popular for military watches, and most of them take 16-18mm straps, so I'm sure they're out there. You can also buy a canvas NATO strap and just cut off the extra flap.

You can also get a Perlon like this.
    https://www.crownandbuckle.com/grey-braided-perlon.html
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
    Here is one: https://www.mwc-usa.com/products/ret...in-desert-sand

Search for canvas one-piece straps, etc. These are popular for military watches, and most of them take 16-18mm straps, so I'm sure they're out there. You can also buy a canvas NATO strap and just cut off the extra flap.
    what do you think that will look better on the watch? the one you sent which is khaki or this one: https://www.mwc-usa.com/collections/...ry-watch-strap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information