Flea market find
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scottaw

Thread: Flea market find

Flea market find

So my wife and I were out running errands today and decided on some flea marketing. On our way there I told her I'd love to find an old pocket watch to add to my small watch collection, maybe a ball or some cool Americana piece. When we're looking around I find this piece.

Well, I had no cell service and didn't know a thing about it, but bought it because it was marked from my hometown, Altoona PA. I thought that was cool and my wife said just buy it, wasn't too expensive anyway.

Well when I get home I google W.F. Seller & co to find anything I can. I could only find a few references to this company, but they all mentioned the watches were made by Patek Phillipe! The case won't open easily, and the only outside markings are the name on the bezel. Has anyone ever heard of these? I'm going to take it to a professional to try to get it open and check the movement and hopefully get it running again.

Thanks for any information you may have.
    ric3188 likes this.

Re: Flea market find

W.F. Seller is the name of a jewlery store that used to exist in Altoona: Page 2, Altoona Mirror, July 17, 1946: NewspaperARCHIVE.com

Like most jewelery stores, they had a "house" line of watches (what collectors refer to as "jobber" or "Private Label" watches). Larger stores would have a whole line of different qualities and grades for their discerning customers, and would source their movements from both swiss and american manufactuerers depending on the price they wanted to charge.

I found this on on an auction site, looks like a nicely decorated but low-grade movement: Lot 4564: W.F. SELLERS & CO ALTOONA, PENNSYLVANIA GOLD TONE HUNTER CASE #13124200 POCKET WATCH 35MM DIAM, SMALL DENTS IN CASE - Apple Tree Auction Center | Artfact

These watches can be fun, becuase you really never know what's going to be inside. The dial is so generic that you could find anything from a railroad grade movement to a Roskopff. The case style suggests around the turn of the century.

What does it say above the sub-second dial?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Flea market find

I'll be waiting anxiously to see what sort of movement it has.

The double sunk dial would tend to point toward it being an American movement, although I can't quite place the dial. The signature would lean me toward Waltham, although the I've not seen a Waltham dial with Breguet numerals quite in that form. If anything, the Breguet numerals are similar to the ones sometimes seen on Illinois watches, but the hour markers aren't right for an Illinois dial of this style.

So, that brings us back around to Swiss.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's at the shop now, I should know in a few days what's inside.

Thread Information