Fleamarket finds (Candino/Citizen) Any info appreciated.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By KasperDK
  • 1 Post By KasperDK
  • 1 Post By Shum
  • 1 Post By Emre

Thread: Fleamarket finds (Candino/Citizen) Any info appreciated.

Fleamarket finds (Candino/Citizen) Any info appreciated.

First of all, if these aren't "vintage" enough please feel free to move/delete.

Found a Citizen Digi/Ana/Temp and an old Candino Space Rock manual winder, basically in a pile of junk metal (Think screws, rusty knives, old bottle openers etc.) - I payed the equivilant of 10 Euro for the pair, and both seem to work well, plus i like the look of them. However i'd appreciate any information about them, especially the Candino (I know the company, since i own a quartz Candino) since i cannot find much at all.

The Citizen i found quite a bit of info about already - Needs a bit of a polish to the crystal but overall it's in reasonable shape considering the age and where i found it. All functions seem to work, including the light but the buttons are a bit hard to press sometimes - Maybe cleaning them a bit will help.

The Candino looks 70'ish to me, As you can see it was quite heavily scratched, i spend an ungodly amount of time yesterday polishing the crystal, there is a few marks still but i hope i can get rid of them. The case is in pretty good nick, after a polish - The back wont ever be pretty again i'm afraid.

Does anyone have any idea about the movement? There is like an extra backplate inside that clicks into the plastic surrounding the movement.

Also, what is the deal with the rocket on the back? And what could the big P.S. mean? Any trick to getting the caseback straight? It was crooked when i found it, and i cannot tighten it enough to make it sit straight.

Back:

Movement:

Finally, if anyone has a suggestion for a good looking (Affordable) strap for the Candino it would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time, and sorry if this post got a bit long!
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Re: Fleamarket finds (Candino/Citizen) Any info appreciated.

Awesome finds, love them both, I would find a nice black leather strap for the Candino, there are loads on eBay you just need to establish the lug width, i'd guess it's 20mm but double check that.

Matt
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

It's wonderful the Citizen is still working but I guess it's because it's so early as the mid 80's models are junk most of the time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cheers guys,

Yes as i understood about the Citizen it's an older model (Something with the calendar only lasting to 2019 or thereabout - not too fuzzed about that) It's a nice watch, although quite cumbersome to set the time on it:).

Was looking at ebay for straps, thing is i measure the distance between the lugs to 19.5 with my digital calipers - I wonder if i can squeeze a 20mm in there, maybe shave off a bit on the sides of the strap if needed? The selection is much greater in 20mm.
    busmatt likes this.

Yes it's better to go wider then narrower and 20mm will fit just fine.
    busmatt likes this.

Im not an expert, but those watches look quite cool! The Candino Dial looks awesome and reminds me of the seiko sunburst dials. It doesn't look like a military issued watch at all but the caseback by itself does. If you don't get satisfying answers here at wus you might want to post your question in the military watch resource forum, as far as i can see, there seem to be a lot of users who are really familiar with mil spec watches.
    The Military Watch Resource - Community Fora

Non of the watches are military issued or type at all. But flea-market finds are always joy,congrats.

The Candino looks good, I doubt the case-back belongs to it though.Dial says 'Space Rock' case-back has tank and rocket ,just cobbled together IMO.

The movement is marked under the balance wheel is that AS of FHF Standard shield,I had a Bucherer watch with similar movt.,it was Standart 96 I think.

Candino is a sweet small company who made some nice and chic watches.I have one in my collection, it's a wolf under the sheep skin:

Name:  DSC09286 (Small).JPG
Views: 175
Size:  89.9 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Movement in the Candino is from the Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1800 family:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1800 (Standard 1800)

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information