Forgive Me Father Joseph, for I have sinned.
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Forgive Me Father Joseph, for I have sinned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Forgive Me Father Joseph, for I have sinned.

So I was at this antiquey gallery in San Diego a few days ago and I mentioned that I collected Bulovas. Only Bulovas and only mechanical from 1915 to 1975. The owner said "Well I have a few of those at home. Come back on Monday." So I did and he produced the watches shown below. After much haggling we agreed on a price. (Hey Bobbee, look at that Ivanhoe. Joking of course - a 21st Century). Don't know what the other two are. I'm thinking Clipper on the right.

So as I'm leaving I look at a case of watches that I hadn't noticed before and I see this very discreet and lovely Movado. But it's not a Bulova, so I turn and as I do I swear the damn thing starts talking to me. I haven't taken LSD for 38 years. But the watch says "Hey Mr. Mojo take me home with you. I will always keep excellent time and I'll never cheat on you."

I look back at the case and there's no sign of any verbage. But as I turn away I hear "If you don't take me today you'll regret it tomorrow."

So I ask the owner "How much is that damn talking Movado?" He looks at me a little strangely and quotes me a price that is silly. Then he gives me a history. "That watch has an incredible Valjoux blah, blah, blah movement. It was serviced just last year and keeps amazing time."

I said "I don't care if it can wake me up in the morning with a cup of tea. (wake up to Goblin. More fun I think). I'll give you $------ for it with the promise that I will come back and buy that 1965 Rolex Datejust next week". Damn I'm sinning a lot this week.

So he said, "Well I can't hold you to the Rolex. But I'll let you have the Movado for $-----." I wince a bit then looked at it again, and I swear the f+++ing think winked at me. So I said "OK".

Any idea what year this is? I'm guessing late 50's. But I really don't know. Any Movado fanatics out there care to tell me. I have been wearing this watch for 48 hours, and I feel like such a Bulova traitor. But I loooooooooooove this watch. It is so stylish and timeless. Every few minutes I just look at it and smile. It is so f+++ing beautiful and in two days the damn thing has not lost or gained a second. If Movados are all like this I am completely sold and may have to start collecting them too. But sadly they are not as cheap as Bulovas.

So any help appreciated. How old? Any model name? Thank you guys and gals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Forgive Me Father Joseph, for I have sinned.

I'd say early 50's based on the movement. Likely a Movado 125, but could also be others from the same series depending on the frequency and mainspring. Beautiful watch, simple and elegant. As I prefer my watches "less is more" I think it would've spoken to me too ;)
    Last edited by Vintage1982; July 29th, 2015 at 20:34.
    busmatt and Emre like this.

Late 1940s, very early 1950s given the lack of any shock device. Here's the movement:
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Movado 135
    EDIT: Vintage1982 is right. It's a Movado 125.
    I don't know where did the fella get the idea of any Valjoux in this watch...
    Last edited by mkws; July 29th, 2015 at 20:38.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Goodness mkws you are like greased lightning. Is this a common model?

44 hour power reserve. Nice. So this IS based on an old Valjoux movement, just modified by Movado. Are you a Movado collector? I'm thinking I should become one just base on this watch. It is exquisite.

Just re-read your post. This is an original Movado design? Not Valjoux or an ETA? I can't believe how accurate the damn thing is. Just nails it to the second all the time. Are all vintage Movados like this? I am completely sold. I want more.

As long as you always buy three Bulovas whenever you buy a watch of another brand, you shouldn't feel as a Bulova traitor. All Bulova watches will be singing in a choir 'buy that Rolex, buy that Omega, buy that Movado, buy that Waltham, by all means buy that Patik Philippe - knowing that you will everytime buy three Bulovas too.
    bobbee likes this.

It's an inhouse movement yes. Zenith and Movado share their movements because they're one group, together with Mondia. Early Mondias sometimes have similar movements too but newer ones often have generic Swiss movements. Anyway, they're a very good quality movements and if serviced properly they will have great accuracy and amplitude.
    bobbee likes this.

Hey Mister Border-Reiver

Thank you. I feel cleansed and forgiven. But am certainly smitten by Movado. Had no idea how wonderful the vintage ones are. Got to find more that look like this.

BTW the Rolex is a thank you to a friend. I know it will impress him. I'm not a big Rolex fan and would never wear one. But I do change Bulovas every three days - religiously. I need more. I only have 58. Must go and find more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    It's an inhouse movement yes. Zenith and Movado share their movements because they're one group, together with Mondia. Early Mondias sometimes have similar movements too but newer ones often have generic Swiss movements. Anyway, they're a very good quality movements and if serviced properly they will have great accuracy and amplitude.
    Thank you. I really had no opinion about Movados before this watch, but it so elegant. As you say, less is often far more. So glad that it spoke to me. I couldn't have left the store without it. Just magic. I think I have just become a Bulova/Movado collector. And it feels so good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information