Found my great grandfather's Ball pocket watch - what can you tell me?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 3005
  • 1 Post By MarkieB
  • 1 Post By RON in PA
  • 1 Post By Michael Maddan
  • 1 Post By veritas123

Thread: Found my great grandfather's Ball pocket watch - what can you tell me?

Found my great grandfather's Ball pocket watch - what can you tell me?

I was digging through some family heirlooms that I received after my grandparents' death and came across what I believe to be is my great grandfather's Ball pocket watch. It's running and keeping accurate time after a couple hours.

Based on the serial (B262223?) and my quick online searches, it seems like it's from around the 1920s, but my experience with timepieces is solely with wristwatches, so any information would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 3005; August 12th, 2017 at 23:23.
    pmwas likes this.

Ω Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite • Stowa Antea KS • Seiko SKX007

Re: Found my great grandfather's Ball pocket watch - what can you tell me?

That was a mistake, winding it.

Date seems about right. E Keller & Sons were the jewellers that sold the watch and they ceased trading in 1935. The case was revolutionary as it is brass sndwiched between two sheets of Gold. This gave a longer lasting case (the 25 years is a guarantee) than electroplating and gave an almost solid gold feel case.

Extrelemy nice movement too, the original tool watch designed to be accurate under the rigours of operating a steam train and literally designed to stop trains crashing (after the head on crash in 1891 Kipton, Ohio caused by a conductors watch losing 5 minutes)

Ball has a museum and I suspect if you send the photos you've posted here they will be able to give you a complete history of the watch.

Enjoy
    Last edited by MarkieB; August 13th, 2017 at 01:43.
    3005 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieB View Post
    Date seems about right. E Keller & Sons were the jewellers that sold the watch and they ceased trading in 1935. The case was revolutionary as it is brass sndwiched between two sheets of Gold. This gave a longer lasting case (the 25 years is a guarantee) than electroplating and gave an almost solid gold feel case.

Extrelemy nice movement too, the original tool watch designed to be accurate under the rigours of operating a steam train and literally designed to stop trains crashing (after the head on crash in 1891 Kipton, Ohio caused by a conductors watch losing 5 minutes)

Ball has a museum and I suspect if you send the photos you've posted here they will be able to give you a complete history of the watch.

Enjoy
    Awesome, thank you!

Ω Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite • Stowa Antea KS • Seiko SKX007

Nothing revolutionary about a gold filled case, made by the millions. I believe your movement was made for Ball by Waltham, but not 100% sure as my Ball reference is out of reach. Most Ball watch movements were made by Hamilton, but were also made by most of the major American manufacturers. Ball did not manufacture watches, but rather assembled, regulated and adjusted them using movements and cases made for him and finished to his design.
    3005 likes this.

3005...Hello. I reckon RON in PA is correct ( as always!). The 'hairspring stud" and "winding wheel click" are Waltham characteristics, and, if you chase down the Serial number on the movement, it'll be a Waltham.

Many Ball's show up in Ball-signed cases, and collector's tend to look for them.

These are very-well made timepieces, relatively easy to work on, and always neat to encounter! Enjoy. Michael.
    3005 likes this.

Excellent Watch! 21 jewel . Rail Road quality! One of my personal favorites.

Read here for more information about Ball and his watches Ball Watch Company: History, Serial Numbers, Production Dates

I know nothing about this repair shop BTW so please don't take the link as a referral.
    3005 likes this.

Thread Information