Found old Lanco watch - any info?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Found old Lanco watch - any info?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found old Lanco watch - any info?

Hi,

I've been lurking the forum for while, but finally decided to join. I'm rather new to this whole watch business, but find it very interesting. On a daily basis I'm wearing a Tissot Quartz watch, but I'm really falling in love with specially the Omega PO8500. Rolex Sub or Todor Pelagos are other interesting choices, but I'm not really ready to pull the trigger on anything yet - it is a pretty big investment for me.

Anyway, until today I figured one of the above would be my first mechanical watch. But while going through all my old childhood stuff in my parents house, I found this old Lanco watch (which I don't know anything about). First I did t really notice and just though it was some very cheap Quartz watch, but then I took a closer look and saw it was still running, with that smooth second hand. I find it very strange, since this watch much have been hidden in a bag for atleast 15 years (since my grandfather died, I suspect it was his).

Anyboby know anything about this watch? When was it produced? Is it just a very cheap watch produced in the millions? Watching other Lanco watches on places like EBay, I realize it's not something worth much. But it would be nice knowing a bit more about its history.

I see I cannot post photos yet, here some info:

Lanco
    17 JEWELS
    SHOCKPROTECTED
    SWISS MADE T

backside:

Lanco
    15/15 3040
    Stainless Steel
    Antimagnetic
    Water and Shockproof
    Swiss Made

I hope somebody knows something about this one. Thanks in advance.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Found old Lanco watch - any info?

Welcome to the Vintage forum. Lanco was a brand (probably the main brand) of the Langendorf Watch Co. of Langendorf, Switzerland. They actually made their own movements (not by any means standard in the watch world) so you may well have something a little above average there. As for details, unless someone knows the exact reference number, some pictures would help a lot so I look forward to the time when you are allowed to post them. The "Swiss Made T" indicates that it is post-1960 anyway.

Hartmut Richter
    dklap3 likes this.

Yes, as Hartmut says, they are a reasonably well known vintage brand. In the marketplace, they are under-valued in relative terms, so a good watch, but one the would be worth slightly less than big name brands such as Omega (etc). Still a good watch, just less 'valued' in commercial terms. Point is, it's a family watch and worth a lot to you - sorry, I'm sort of repeating what you already know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Hartmut Richter,

Sounds interesting. I have a few photos ready, not sure how many posts I need before I can post them.

The watch is not in the best condition, it has a few scratches, but I guess it could be a lot worse. It'll need a new strap though, the old black leather strap is no good anymore, it's extremely stiff. However, with a new strap I guess it could be a okay little dress watch.

Mikael

I think that it should only be a maximum of five posts before you can post a piccie. Just to elaborate: "T" denotes Tritium in the lume material on hands and dial, before that it was Radium. Tritium in watches came out in 1960.

Hartmut Richter

Also thanks to you for the answer Habitant.

Hartmut: Oh, interesting with the lume. It looks like there's no lume left, but with an age of maybe 50 years I guess that's what can be expected?

Radium has a half life of >1000 years. However, Radium doesn't glow by itslef - it needs an extra substance (usually Zinc sulfide) to make the whole thing glow. Radium only provides the energy. When you see old Radium lume watches not glow anymore, it's because the ZnS has degraded.

Tritium is the H3 isotope of hydrogen. It is rather safer than Radium (Radium is safe on the dial but becomes deadly when the dust is inhaled) but it has a half life on only 12 years. When you see Tritium watches without any glow, it could be due to the ZnS but it could equally well be due to the Tritium having lost its radioactivity after 40-50 years. After ten years, you are down to half, after 20 down to a quarter..... and after 40 down to 1/16th or 6.25% of the former glow.

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt and dklap3 like this.

Okay, then it makes since I see only very little lume on this one.

And thanks again for the help. I had no idea about thing like the lume before. :)

Mikael

I see the old black leather strap is a Hirsch strap. However, it was in so bad condition I could rip it right off, felt almost rotten.

Let's try again with the photos. I excuse the quality, it take with my mobile so could be better:

Mikael
    Shum, busmatt, Habitant and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information