Found one of my old pieces on ebay.... for a hell of a lot more than I sold it!
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Found one of my old pieces on ebay.... for a hell of a lot more than I sold it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found one of my old pieces on ebay.... for a hell of a lot more than I sold it!

Hey folks! So as the title says I was browsing ebay earlier and came across this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vint...gAAOSw~jpZ2nlk

Having looked carefully I realised it's actually a watch I sold a year or so ago, as pictured below.

Name:  Accurist.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  56.3 KBName:  Accurist 4.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  51.0 KBName:  accurist 2.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  62.9 KBName:  accurist 3.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  65.7 KB

Since I sold it some idiot has forced a lume pip into the bezel where there should only be lumed paint. Of course the real punchline is the £1200 they're asking for it!

It amazes me someone thinks they can sell it for more than the vintage Tudor Oyster they also have for sale, but it's also interesting to see the journey it has taken, from a barn find, restoration and sale to going back up for sale now.

It's a funny old world!

Re: Found one of my old pieces on ebay.... for a hell of a lot more than I sold it!

Interesting that you found the listing. The asking price is out-of-line. It's a solid vintage diver, but without a major brand-name, I don't see it bringing more than $400-$500 usd, especially given the condition of the bezel.

Edit: After looking at some of the seller's other listings, I totally agree with you that he/she doesn't understand how to value vintage watches.
    Last edited by badbackdan; November 27th, 2017 at 18:26.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: Found one of my old pieces on ebay.... for a hell of a lot more than I sold it!

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Interesting that you found the listing. The asking price is out-of-line. It's a solid vintage diver, but without a major brand-name, I don't see it bringing more than $400-$500 usd, especially given the condition of the bezel.

Edit: After looking at some of the seller's other listings, I totally agree with you that he/she doesn't understand how to value vintage watches.
    There remains only the hope, that also potential buyers understand it too and have not smoked some 'Hondinkee-weed' before...
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 27th, 2017 at 18:47.
    Michael Maddan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not a first for me. I sold a man 14K and diamond Lucien P. for $900, was the going rate. Saw it listed again with my pics while still in transit to the buyer. The buyer was the poster and listed it for $2,100. While I don't mind that they put it up for sale....they seem to have thought they could get way more when the average range for ones like it was $600-900. I got my money and if they want to try and make a buck....that is up to them.

I am sure this kind of thing happens more often than you think. I do bottom feeding, as I call it, at times to see what pops up at a crazy low price. I think the best recent was the military issue Timex I picked up for $25 but that is a keeper. The BFG 90 alarm watch was another bottom feeder at $20. But then I do work on them if I can to fix issues that may have caused a watch to have a low price.

Sometimes I sell off at a profit to pay for another watch I want....but to ask far more than market would be insane. But the buy and sell for me is to fund the collection and repairs without resorting to may regular paycheck. A collection grows by watering it with money and pruning in a way. But your watch crop an only be planted best with knowledge or your crops will fail.....I have been in the midwest too long LOL

I just browsed for vintage Accurist and saw it. It's a nice unusual vintage piece as you say. I think I sold it for £300-350 so about what you said. Though I the crown is a replacement so they're wrong in their listing. Plus no movement shot! Got to wonder how they got it and how much they paid....

And yeah, their valuations are way off!

Edit: After looking at some of the seller's other listings, I totally agree with you that he/she is looking for customers who do not understand how to value vintage watches.
    Fixed that for you.

That new lume pip. Nooooo..

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyke View Post
    That new lume pip. Nooooo..
    Hahaha! I know, it looks so out of place...

I'm the only one watching it too (just out of curiosity) which bodes oh so well for the seller

I sold a Kienzle for around £10, then one day spotted it on ebay for around £250, also they made a big point of the rally strap, the one i'd bought for 1.99 because I wanted to keep the Tropic strap, which I later sold for 15.00. The Kienze had 20+ watchers and some poor bast bought it.
    ●7.25●

I plan on winning that auction and relisting for 5k
    Watch That Sweep likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information