WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Found something interesting

283 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mharris660 
#1 · (Edited)
I came across an old Gruen gold filled watch for 5 dollars. It's actually running very well. It's a square autowind. The movement is a 475 and the style is 640 from 1949. None of that really makes it interesting except for some marks inside the case, the marks a repair guy makes. One of the marks is a German swastika, very small but clear as day. I'm going to try to take a photo of it. I may have to set up my macro bellows to shoot it because it's so small. So now the mystery is why does a watch from 1949 have a swastika scratched inside the case?

#2 ·
The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means "good fortune" or "well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

Long before you know who decided to abuse it!

#3 · (Edited)
I know, I was born on a Navajo Indian reservation and they had the design 100's of years before the ...... Thing is, I don't know many Navajo watch repair people. Come to think of it, I don't know many Neolithic watch repairmen either. In looking at the time frame really only one conclusion fits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.