Found something interesting
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By simpletreasures

Thread: Found something interesting

Found something interesting

I came across an old Gruen gold filled watch for 5 dollars. It's actually running very well. It's a square autowind. The movement is a 475 and the style is 640 from 1949. None of that really makes it interesting except for some marks inside the case, the marks a repair guy makes. One of the marks is a German swastika, very small but clear as day. I'm going to try to take a photo of it. I may have to set up my macro bellows to shoot it because it's so small. So now the mystery is why does a watch from 1949 have a swastika scratched inside the case?
    Last edited by mharris660; February 8th, 2016 at 04:05.

Re: Found something interesting

The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

Long before you know who decided to abuse it!
    Giotime likes this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Re: Found something interesting

I know, I was born on a Navajo Indian reservation and they had the design 100's of years before the ...... Thing is, I don't know many Navajo watch repair people. Come to think of it, I don't know many Neolithic watch repairmen either. In looking at the time frame really only one conclusion fits.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpletreasures View Post
    The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being." The motif (a hooked cross) appears to have first been used in Neolithic Eurasia, perhaps representing the movement of the sun through the sky. To this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism.

Long before you know who decided to abuse it!
    Last edited by mharris660; February 8th, 2016 at 06:39.

Thread Information