Franken Leonidas Landeron Chronograph?

Thread: Franken Leonidas Landeron Chronograph?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Franken Leonidas Landeron Chronograph?

Hello everyone,

Again this uncultured but passionate lover of vintage watches needs your help:

I've recently seen someone selling this chronograph for 200?. The seller sais: "chronograph watch with Leonidas dial and Landeron movement".

I've asked the seller firstly for the crown, that was the most shocking thing to me. Seller estates it is original.

Second thing I've asked was about the dial; original or re-painted? Seller estates it is original not re-painted. Dial looks original to me but perhaps subdials are way too dark??

I stoped asking here.

The movement isn't signed but I think not all Leonidas had the movement signed?? It is a Landeron 48 I believe?

Case is gold plated.

If anyone more knowledgeable than me could help me out with this one I'd be much appreciated!!

Thank you again WUS!!

Alberto.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Franken Leonidas Landeron Chronograph?

The dial looks properly aged to me and very well might be original. The crown could also be original but since it most likely was not signed originally -this would be harder to prove. All in all I think it looks like a decent original Leonidas chronograph and the price is pretty nice as well.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    The dial looks properly aged to me and very well might be original. The crown could also be original but since it most likely was not signed originally -this would be harder to prove. All in all I think it looks like a decent original Leonidas chronograph and the price is pretty nice as well.
    Yes, the price is what made me doubt about it... Okay thanks for your opinion!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For me something is not right about the dial . The sub dials are not equal distance from the centre. The 9 o'clock side of main dial is closer to edge than 3 o'clock.
    Hands of subdials not the same but there are lots on google with different hands so perhaps that's the way they made them
    Last edited by Molliedooker; February 16th, 2016 at 10:41.

Looks like it was plain dial once and someone added LEONIDAS later by hand
    Chaos is my focus

Agree with laikrodukas, think this is simply a generic Landeron with unbranded dial that someone has printed the name 'Leonidas' on. It's not hard to do.

200€ is pretty typical for such a chrono. The crown is simply a period generic crown, could be from the period or not; it doesn't matter, as it's unsigned.

Judging by the patina on the dial, I'd say that it is consistent with the period, so likely to be original, but as to whether it started life as a Leonidas is in some question - surely the bridge would have been signed, if so? Even that's no guarantee nowadays as there are plenty of laser engraved fake bridges out there - especially of brands such as Breitlling, et al. And there's no shot of the inside of the case back, which might be signed - or not. The engraving on the outside, "Fond Acier Inoxydable," is typical and generic.

Nice watch, but don't overpay.

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Last edited by Habitant; February 16th, 2016 at 12:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Molliedooker View Post
    For me something is not right about the dial . The sub dials are not equal distance from the centre. The 9 o'clock side of main dial is closer to edge than 3 o'clock.
    Hands of subdials not the same but there are lots on google with different hands so perhaps that's the way they made them
    Damn, didn´t notice that. Yeah it's true; the sub-dial on the left overpasses more the inner scale of the dial than the one on the right. Making them not equally distant frome the centre as you say... perhaps a cheap (back in the time) asimetric watch (making it NOT being a Leonidas) or a badly re-painted dial? I'll go for the cheap watch thought. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Agree with laikrodukas, think this is simply a generic Landeron with unbranded dial that someone has printed the name 'Leonidas' on. It's not hard to do.

200€ is pretty typical for such a chrono. The crown is simply a period generic crown, could be from the period or not; it doesn't matter, as it's unsigned.

Judging by the patina on the dial, I'd say that it is consistent with the period, so likely to be original, but as to whether it started life as a Leonidas is in some question - surely the bridge would have been signed, if so? Even that's no guarantee nowadays as there are plenty of laser engraved fake bridges out there - especially of brands such as Breitlling, et al. And there's no shot of the inside of the case back, which might be signed - or not. The engraving on the outside, "Fond Acier Inoxydable," is typical and generic.

Nice watch, but don't overpay.
    Yes now that I see the asimetrics in this watch, it probably wasn´t manufactured by Leonidas rather than a cheap unsigned watch for the time with a Landeron movement. Probably someone added that "Leonidas" later...I don´t know why.

Way too many concerns for this one. What looks not original is the dial, movement crown and case look generic from the time that may or may not be original from this watch.

Althought price is reasonable, I'd rather save it and spend it on another one that's not going to keep me awake at night.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    I could have noticed that If I would've noticed that the dial isn't symetric... How can you detect that "Leonidas" was written later by hand? Than you!

It just looks not crisp and not perfect enough to me.
    On the other hand not everyone had good QA back in the day
    Chaos is my focus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information