WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Frankenwatches - now also sold in Germany?

744 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mkws 
#1 ·
http://www.ebay.com/sch/uhren-atelier/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

First Ukraine, the Poland. Recently, a lot (an incredible number TBH) from Bulgaria...

The presentation looks familiar. And somehow these - - - - people maintain top feedback.

Where's PATEK, IWC etc. to come out against these truly "unique" watches? Yes, I can put a Mercedes star on a Toyota.

Ebay's asleep - what is your take? Don't like this one bit. No way is that customary, a wristwatch and all from 1899? Get real! No patina, no scratches? Rose gold?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIQUE-PATEK-PHILIPPE-CO-GENEVA-SOLID-14K-GOLD-CHRONOGRAPH-1875-/351579602204?hash=item51dbc6fd1c:g:v6AAAOSweuxWSHGN

#3 · (Edited)
So it appears, that sadly, yes, now also they sell them from Germany. Notice how the listing is constructed- no mention of the case not being the real deal, but they don't claim it to be genuine either. These watches, in terms of collectible value, are not worth even 20% of what the bloke sells them for. That's quite simply the value of gold + the value of the bare movement. And the fella... Well, he apparently thinks that selling these watches above the price of a new Rolex Submariner is something good. Profitable, I'll give him that, but honest- no.
Another thing- he seems to sign his auctions with his NAWCC number...

Reactions: Kru Chris
#5 · (Edited)
"CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY AN EXPERT WITNESS ON WATCHES !!!"

"CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY AN EXPERT WITNESS ON WATCHES AT COURT INCLUDED !!!"

Gee, I wonder why he has to make that claim?But the devil is in the detail: go to the bottom of the page and notice that "This is a private listing and your identity will not be disclosed to anyone except the seller." Anyone who does this is up to no good, plain and simple. eBay aliases are anonymous, there's no reason to further mask them. Unless? You're using shill bidding to manipulate your ratings and sales.

Crap like this is all over eBay. Well, not crap like this, because this is in a different league. But it seems to me that all countries and its citizens are represented in the League of Deceit on eBay. Some more often than others. Thing is, you can report the sellers to eBay, the button is right there, it takes you here. If more of us did this, then eBay and Patek (et al) might be more militant about this rubbish.

But what has he done wrong? The movement was actually made by PP. It's been re-cased, which he forgets to mention. He's economical with the truth. But it is (sort of) a 'real' (sic) Patek. Just not a very real one. Caveat emptor. Do people buying $5K Pateks really not know what's up here? We are surely in Patek collector country, no? Surely they would know better… surely.

#8 · (Edited)
The main crime is printing PATEK name over Tiffany or noname dial. Fake branding is a legal offence - fraud.

Another inadmissible misbehaviour is re-purposing original pocket watch into strange "monster" whistwatch.
This "crime" is not in a legal field, just ruining a good original pocket watch. So sad to see it.

As to cases - if it was manufactured for orphaned homeless movement and seller lists it as "re-cased", I guess it's OK.
This fact must be clearly declared in title and description.

The reason of demand - not many modern gentlemen would be happy to wear small 32...35 mm vintage watches.
Jumbo sized vintage watches with enamel dials, old blue hands and visible movements are so lovely indeed.

#9 · (Edited)
...all this is so WEIRD...why not present the watch as what it is: original movement...'unique' case & dial...and let it go at that? There is something to be said, methinks, for giving a nice movement another life...as long as the buyer realizes that the end-result is a unique creation, and not at all a factory piece...and the prices these critters sell for...REALLY??...who--I ask you--has this kind of money to spend i.e., where does their 'money' come from...?! Michael.

#10 ·
Because you couldn't ask $5K for it then. It would just be the same as those ones from the Ukrainian skeletoniser, a curio you might get a few hundred for. This way, he hopes to snag a newbie who can't see what's written between the lines here, ie Franken watch of relatively low value, and buys a $5K turd that smells big time and no come back. Snake.

#11 ·
Don't insult snakes, Habitant- what, oh, what have these reptiles done to be compared to a seller of Frankenpateks?:-d
On the other hand, the comparison might as well be good...
Movie Photo caption Cool Font Poster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.