Fremes watches?

Thread: Fremes watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fremes watches?

I've inherited a white gold & diamond ladies vintage wristwatch made by "Fremes".

Try as I might, though, I can't find any information on this company (short of two eBay auctions for very cheap watches by the same company - but with no info about the maker).

The watch came down from my great-grandmother (my great-grandfather was a jeweler and watch maker), so I know it goes back at least to the 1930's or '40's and I had the watch appraised so I know the gold and diamonds are real.

It's been suggested that I <sigh> melt it down for the gold and diamonds and re-purpose them. That goes against my natures, so before I even consider that I wanted to see if I could learn anything about "Fremes" (both for historical reasons, and to make sure it's not collectible or something).

Any information would be appreciated.

All the Best,
    Supahbeel

Re: Fremes watches?

Sorry - Fremes is not listed in any of the usual places. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f295/tr...ps-364475.html

It could have been a short-lived brand, or a jeweller's in-house brand. It sounds nice anyway.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Hi, My name is Paul Fremes. Fremes watches were created and sold by members of my family. The company was owned by my great grandfather, Simon. The business was based in Toronto, Canada. Watch movements were purchased in Switzerland and faces and cases designed and built in Toronto. The business shut down in the 50's when my father did not continue the family business. I hope this is of use to you. would love to see some photos of the watches. Paul

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Paul and welcome.

That's really great information - thank you. The OP hasn't made any other posts in the 6 months since joining, so he may not see this. But no doubt someone will, in due course, be looking for information about your family's watches and will find it here. If you have any yourself we'd love to see pictures.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

According to my notes, I have a Fremes brand watch.

Unfortunately I don't have a decent photo of it or know where I've currently got it stashed. I bought it with a lot of watches in Dec 2007

Based on my description in my notes, it is either the first watch in the first row or the last watch in the first row.

I'll see if I can locate it within the next few days.

My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

Thanks for your message. I do have a number of Fremes watches - one that I used to wear every day until I noticed it glowed incessantly in the dark. Testing revealed it was radioactive - stopped wearing it. I'll try to post some images. Thanks again, Paul

Hi Paul
    I, too have just inhereted a Fremes watch. The Toronto connection makes sense as it was my father's and Toronto was home for him. I'd be happy to send you a photo and a brief description is a rectangular body about 3/4" wide and 7/8" long. The face as gold coloured and has a combination of Roman numerals and 'squares' for hour markings.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Frames View Post
    Hi, My name is Paul Fremes. Fremes watches were created and sold by members of my family. The company was owned by my great grandfather, Simon. The business was based in Toronto, Canada. Watch movements were purchased in Switzerland and faces and cases designed and built in Toronto. The business shut down in the 50's when my father did not continue the family business. I hope this is of use to you. would love to see some photos of the watches. Paul
    Hi Paul - I have a FREMES watch here in Alberta CA (not working, I don't think) in its original red felt case - if you wish to have this as a family keepsake. let me know and I can send it over.
    HRiver

Name:  fremes.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  38.5 KB

I have a Bogar,s Special from Fremes
    I have just joined the forum so cannot supply a picture at this time.
    Its a Mans rectangular yellow watch 29 x22 mm with a second at 6 0 clock
    It has 15 jewel movement.
    at first sight it looks like an 8.5/9 ligne AS movement but could be a langdorf I suppose.
    I have yet to take it apart so so not see any other markings other than fremes/Swiss made and 15 jewels.
    I will get a photo and post it in the next couple of days

Hi, Thank you for your note. I would love to have the watch. I can share a shipping address. How can I pay your costs? Sincerely, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hriver View Post
    Hi Paul - I have a FREMES watch here in Alberta CA (not working, I don't think) in its original red felt case - if you wish to have this as a family keepsake. let me know and I can send it over.
    HRiver

Name:  fremes.jpg
Views: 1406
Size:  38.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information