Frenca
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Frenca

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Frenca

Good day all! I have a small collection of vintage pocket watches, mostly Walthams, but this one has me baffled. Does anyone know when this was manufactured? Does it have any value?
    It’s in a half- hunter case, runs (slow), and is stem set. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I am thinning out my collection and need information about it to share, all info is helpful.
    Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by CMSgt Bo; May 7th, 2018 at 06:18. Reason: Rule 4 Violation

This boneyard relic is labeled

MSRz4

Last edited by pithy; May 6th, 2018 at 22:08.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: This boneyard relic is labeled

I rather doubt it - unless the MSR Cal. 24 is in some way related to the Buser Cal. 95:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Buser 18.5'''H4.75

(Cal. B95 mentioned in the accompanying text). Since the movement is stamped "B95", I would favour the Buser heritage. All the more so since Frenca was a brand of Buser's (Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index).

Hartmut Richter
    CMSgt Bo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don’t know what the boneyard relic is, doesn’t resemble my PW that I’m inquiring about so I’m confused about your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Whspurrr View Post
    . . . . Does anyone know when this was manufactured? . . .
    I have seen pocket watches containing movements similar to the Arnex marked example from the 1960's and 1970's.

The lack of shock protection on the Frenca may or may not indicate that it was produced earlier.

. . . Does it have any value? . . .
    Certainly.

. . . It’s in a half- hunter case, . . .
    Not per understanding.

. . . Any and all help is greatly appreciated, . . . .
    Noted.

. . . Thank you in advance.
    You are quite welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    This boneyard relic is labeled MSRz4
    Note1: The insertion of the post topic line to within the quote to preserve the context of my original post. Note2: The quote was previously edited to correct a typo in the legend borne under the balance bridge of the Arnex engraved silverish movement that I previously posted a picture of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I rather doubt it - unless the MSR Cal. 24 is in some way related to the Buser Cal. 95: bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Buser 18.5'''H4.75
    (Cal. B95 mentioned in the accompanying text). Since the movement is stamped "B95", I would favour the Buser heritage. All the more so since Frenca was a brand of Buser's (Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index).Hartmut Richter
    See graphic below.

I don’t know what the boneyard relic is, . . . .
    boneyard = parts salvage

. . . doesn’t resemble my PW that I’m inquiring about . . .
    While the movement that i posted a picture of is not perfectly identical to your example - the lay out and design of the bridges is much closer than the other example to which it was compared and for normal identification purposes it would considered a match.

More specifically:

The gilt example is a hunter whereas yours is an openface movement design.

The gilt movement's balance and barrel bridges - even accounting for the customary geometrical differentials between hunter and open face design - are of decidedly different architecture.

Last edited by CMSgt Bo; May 7th, 2018 at 06:19. Reason: Quoted Rule 4 Violation Removed
    Courtesy of ULF.

Re: This boneyard relic is labeled

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I rather doubt it - unless the MSR Cal. 24 is in some way related to the Buser Cal. 95:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Buser 18.5'''H4.75

(Cal. B95 mentioned in the accompanying text). Since the movement is stamped "B95", I would favour the Buser heritage. All the more so since Frenca was a brand of Buser's (Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index).

Hartmut Richter
    It's a possibility, but the resemblance is far from perfect. It might help if the OP could measure his movement.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I am not only a new member here but have no idea what a gilt is, what the shock protector is, or what “OP” stands for.
    Perhaps I don’t belong here, I clearly don’t understand what Pithy shared but thank them for the time and effort they spent answering my questions.

Re: Frenca

. . . have no idea what a gilt is, what the shock protector is, or what “OP” stands for. . . . .
    Gilt = gold color

Shock protection = spring mounted cap jewel retention

OP = original poster = Whspurr
    Courtesy of ULF.

Re: Frenca

I am not only a new member here but have no idea what a gilt is, what the shock protector is, or what “OP” stands for.
    Perhaps I don’t belong here, I clearly don’t understand what Pithy shared but thank them for the time and effort they spent answering my questions.
    You are very welcome here, but recognize that you have entered into a forum shared by people who are passionate about vintage watches. We are happy to share our knowledge, but you will get more out of it if you are willing to meet us half way by doing some research, and reading other threads to educate yourself a bit.

You started by saying that you had a collection of PWs, so it's reasonable that we expected you might be able to identify features of watch movements or understand some basic terminology. If you want to learn more, please feel free to spend time reading threads and participating. And you can use google to research things that are unfamiliar to you. For example, you might be interested to google "half hunter pocket watch" and "open face pocket watch".
    pithy likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

If gilt is the color how does that show if it’s an open face or hunter movement design? How are they different?
    BTW, this case has 2 hindged covers on its back rather than covering the dial.
    Thank you so much for the lesson!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information