Fun little eBay find...
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Fun little eBay find...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fun little eBay find...

Nothing fancy.. And I know nothing of the brand, but thought it looked cool and in pretty good condition for what I paid. Loved the engraving pattern. Going to enjoy wearing this on "yellow" days. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

derids, busmatt, bobbee and 5 others like this.

Re: Fun little eBay find...

It does look a lot like one of those "Bombay Specials"!

Playing with Google translate and found some cool history.

"Nino is a brand with "roots" famous founders and today it is the first league watchmaking. Filed May 5, 1920 Cassardes Watch / Rodolphe Schmid & Cie (later associated with the manufacture and Breitling Leon Breitling SA !!!) in Neuchâtel, mark "Nino" was removed almost a month later, on June 11, 1920, becoming independent Nino and being renamed Montres SA. Founder initially watchmaking house Cassardes / Rodolphe Schmid & Cie., Was founded in the early 1900s Rodolphe Schmid Born in 1871 in Neuchâtel, visionary moves Rodolphe Schmid in 1894 ... Japan at Yokohama, which is fast becoming one leading retailers of watches. Watch Cassardes open in 1903 at Neuchâtel in Switzerland but customs affected by protectionist policies, transferring all of the work in Japan. In 1912 the factory moved from Yokohama to Tokyo, and in 1918 established brand ... Citizen! Very few collectors know today that Citizen was not a brand 100% Japanese, but was established by Cassardes Watch / Rodolphe Schmid & Cie."
    bobbee and Molliedooker like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's not a "Nino". It's yet another incarnation of the Bombay Special. Somebody in India is getting HMT's and other cheap watches and painting dials with names like Oris, Fortis, and etc. usually in bright colors and selling them on Ebay. They've even gone to the trouble of laser engraving the back. If you'll notice "resistant" is misspelled as "resistent". The good thing is that it can still be a fun little watch for you as long as it runs. A lot of them don't, or not for long since they were "serviced" with lighter fluid.
    simpletreasures likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by unreformed66 View Post
    That's not a "Nino". It's yet another incarnation of the Bombay Special. Somebody in India is getting HMT's and other cheap watches and painting dials with names like Oris, Fortis, and etc. usually in bright colors and selling them on Ebay. They've even gone to the trouble of laser engraving the back. If you'll notice "resistant" is misspelled as "resistent". The good thing is that it can still be a fun little watch for you as long as it runs. A lot of them don't, or not for long since they were "serviced" with lighter fluid.
    The voice of reason! My radar has been up on this watch since I saw it on EBay - but you're right - it's a fun watch with unique color and runs like a top (for now). I learn a little bit with every purchase it seems. Glad this was only a $15 "lesson". Thanks for your comments.

That is a cool watch regardless of what it original origins are. I bought a HMT a few years back for 12 quid just for the laugh. And it turned into one of my favourite watches! HMT use "Parashock" protection which I have not seen on another watch until yours now. Also the HMT manual movement was based on a 1960s Citizen movement and are 17 jewels. But they usually clearly have HMT stamped on them and do not have the fancy machining like on yours. It would appear to me that all of the work involved to make it into a "Bombay special" means that it was a true bargain for $15!
    Last edited by Smoking Joe; February 28th, 2016 at 01:22.
    Mike_1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    That is a cool watch regardless of what it original origins are. I bought a HMT a few years back for 12 quid just for the laugh. And it turned into one of my favourite watches! HMT use "Parashock" protection which I have not seen on another watch until yours now. Also the HMT manual movement was based on a 1960s Citizen movement and are 17 jewels. But they usually clearly have HMT stamped on them and do not have the fancy machining like on yours. It would appear to me that all of the work involved to make it into a "Bombay special" means that it was a true bargain for $15!
    well. $15.99 to be exact. Shipping included :).

by the way - we vacationed in Malahide last spring. lovely spot. Hope to go back soon.
    Smoking Joe likes this.

Just to compare, this is the HMT movement from my watch. They are not the same from the looks of it.

And my watch:

Last edited by Smoking Joe; February 28th, 2016 at 13:40.

Nino's movement is genuine Swiss FHF 96
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

Joe - you're right. Very different movement.

I wonder if these hallmarks can tell us anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information