WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G GERLACH

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dhart 
#1 ·
Hi, We have an old pocket watch that has been passed down through the family. We are a little perplexed about the watch as our research leads us to America and also Poland. Can any one please help us with this one. I have posted the details below:

Outside watch
We think is a 'paired case' as it has an outer and inner cover. It is made of silver (we think) as it has a hallmark stamp. The winding crown is at 3 o'clock . It has some decorative engraving with what appears to be a family crest. On the inside of the first outer case it has a serial number 3605694 and says 'Keystone Watchcase Silveroid' in an emblem. There is also a marking with what appears to be 'co' in it.

Outside Inner Case
Large decorative engraving of owner? G Gerlach with branches surrounding the name.

Inside Inner Case
Guaranteed Genuine Silveroid with the co stamp and the number 3605694

The Movement Area
Has serial number 7680653
With the engraving; Stirling American Waltham USA. Safety pinion & F S

The Pocket Watch Dial
The numerals are in Roman, it has a second counter separate, at 6 o' clock. It also states America Waltham USA. The face of the dial is white.

If anyone could help us with any information we would be very grateful.

Kindest Regards

See less See more
#5 ·
Hi,
Your watch is an American Waltham Mdl 1883, Grade Sterling, 7 jewel, H/C 18s. The Keystone case is also likely American. This watch was likely made for export. But show us some pictures and we could likely give you a definitive answer and more info.
Bill

#9 ·
Debbie,
The inscription is engraved by hand, and it is not a factory marking - what means it is a dedication made. "Gerlach" is quite common surname in Germany, Swiss, Austria, and US. And in Poland :) Gustav Gerlach is our patron, you can check a bit for Gerlach's family history in Poland here :
G.Gerlach Fundacja Rozwoju Polskiej My
It is in English ;-)
As for cleaning - this is a very decent timepiece, as almost any US-made watch. And it is in a very nice shape. As you have no experience with the watches, the best option would be to have it done by a trusted watchmaker and do it correctly, because I suppose that mechanism was not cleaned and oiled for some time ...

#10 ·
Thank you so very much for your information. :)

We have just read the history of Poland's Patron, Gustav Gerlach and are so impressed with the history and kindness of him and his family. As for using his name as my username I feel quite ashamed and disrespectful but did not know who he was. If I can change my user name I will.

Going to a trusted watchmaker to have it cleaned and serviced is what we will do but do not know of any. Do you know of any in Australia by any chance? We are a few hours away from Brisbane.
We are still in shock that this is a watch I am holding in my hand is dedicated to such an important person (very humbling). We were going to put the watch up for sale on Ebay after it was cleaned but now are unsure what to do...

For now though I think getting it cleaned and looked after will be our priority and I cannot thank you enough for your help .|>

Kindest Regards,
Debbie

#11 ·
There is a lot of folks from Australia all over WUS, they can be much better advisors then we, sitting several thousands kilometers away ;-)
I have no idea if this dedication has anything do do with our patron - but if it tracks back to Poland somehow, it is possible.

And by the way, he is not Poland's patron, but patron of foundation I represent :)

#12 ·
Oops, sorry for the mistake. :-x I still think the Patron of your foundation sounds remarkable :). The information you have given us has still been very interesting and much appreciated. We will look for a trustworthy watchmaker to clean and service the watch at some point. Sadly the owner has passed away, so there is no way of getting the history. :-( I think this watch will carry it's secrets to the next owner. Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Debbie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.