G Perregaux Question

Thread: G Perregaux Question

G Perregaux Question

did a delaware watch co..ever make movements for gp..i picked up a really cool looking gp rectangular shaped.. a 60`s looking watch it`s a 17 jewel automatic..hour marks at 3:00 and 9:00 back of case says swiss made..i could send pics if someone could help..jeff

Re: G Perregaux Question

Hi -

Hard to tell without pictures, etc., BUT: highly unlikely. GP is one of the older "manufacturers" who make their own movements, and their use of a movement from someone called "Delaware Watch Co" is is pretty unlikely. Like completely unlikely.

In addition, I googled on that name, and lo and behold:

Delaware Watch Co. v. FTC, 332 F.2d 745, 746 (2d Cir. 1964)

They basically sued the FTC in 1964 to fight a ruling. I don't have access to that actual decision, but what I could gather, the court ruled that individuals acting apparently independently on behalf of a company can be held liable for the actions as if they were working for that company directly.

Doesn't sound good. I do remember reading about front companies and counterfeiting law way back when, and how some companies tried to circumvent criminal liability for counterfeiting high-value consumer goods by hiding true ownership behind a maze of small corporations that normally led in a circle (i.e. company a owns company b, which owns company c, so on and so forth down to company z which owns company a) with the goal of preventing the identification of principals involved in counterfeiting high-value goods.

Perhaps one of the lawyers here can shed some light on that...

JohnF

PS: There are a number of GP automatic calibres that had 17 jewels, but the real classic are the Gyromatic with 39 jewels...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hi -

Hard to tell without pictures, etc., BUT: highly unlikely. GP is one of the older "manufacturers" who make their own movements, and their use of a movement from someone called "Delaware Watch Co" is is pretty unlikely. Like completely unlikely.

In addition, I googled on that name, and lo and behold:

Delaware Watch Co. v. FTC, 332 F.2d 745, 746 (2d Cir. 1964)

They basically sued the FTC in 1964 to fight a ruling. I don't have access to that actual decision, but what I could gather, the court ruled that individuals acting apparently independently on behalf of a company can be held liable for the actions as if they were working for that company directly.

Doesn't sound good. I do remember reading about front companies and counterfeiting law way back when, and how some companies tried to circumvent criminal liability for counterfeiting high-value consumer goods by hiding true ownership behind a maze of small corporations that normally led in a circle (i.e. company a owns company b, which owns company c, so on and so forth down to company z which owns company a) with the goal of preventing the identification of principals involved in counterfeiting high-value goods.

Perhaps one of the lawyers here can shed some light on that...

JohnF

PS: There are a number of GP automatic calibres that had 17 jewels, but the real classic are the Gyromatic with 39 jewels...
    thanks..for the info..if there is someone i can send pic to i would be happy to do so..jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Jeff,

some informations about the connections of Delaware Watch Co are given here:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun....sau&1161788413

But nowhere in the literature I found a connection between Delaware and GP.
    However, most vintage GP watches have modified or unmodified movements
    from large scale production (most from AS, some from ETA or others). And
    as Delaware did it the same way, it is very probable, that simply a dameged
    GP movement was replaced by a fitting or equivalent Delaware movement.

GP had a high reputation up to the early 20th century, and also today. And
    this makes vintage GP watches pretty expensive, although they are from
    average quality. So GP watches are kept running by every means, and for
    most it is not difficult to replace a worn down movement by any other with
    the same basic design.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information