Galaxie by Elgin

Thread: Galaxie by Elgin

Galaxie by Elgin

Over the holidays I rummaged a thrift store, and picked up a few vintages including Gruen Presicion, 1960 Certina Water-King, Waltham 906, Seiko 5ACTUS and this Galaxie. The seller gave it to me as a lot sight unseen and gave me bulk pricing and did not check to see if they worked so when I got home I inspected the watches which all worked to my delight and realized that this timepiece was never used and possibly came from department store overstock/ It had a protective sticker on back with 400 written on it. I popped the back of and it has high polish jewel movement with elgin watch co.It looks mint. The case metal looks like some kind of alloy not SS. It looked pristine It had original spidel that I swapped out for a leather strap. It keeps great time and I'm really happy with the look. I'm tickled to know I I'm the first one wearing it. Now the question, can someone help me date this model and provide any additional info. l I'm just starting to venture into vintage and have a lot to learn. I just discovered you don't have to spend lots of money to get an enjoyment in wearing a timepiece.

Name:  November 2012 080.JPG
Views: 1703
Size:  547.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Trendydandy; November 27th, 2012 at 04:40.
    Rolex GMT II,----gone!!!
    RGM 150 Grande Pilot
    Omega SMP (Bond),
    Ball Hydrocarbon GMT II
    Glycine KMU48/LE
    Movado Kingmatic 7750
    Hamilton X-wind
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono,
    Japy T08 Side Command Chrono,
    Japy T32 Diver,
    Japy Aquatic alarm,
    Tissot T-touch,
    several Citizen Eco-Drive's
    Traser Diver 6500
    Seiko Alpinist
    Seiko Spirit
    Seiko SRH006P1
    Accutron VX-200
    Accutron Breckenridge
    Aristo Drakar 2005
    Benarus Barracuda
    Zodiac Renegade
    7 G-shocks
    A couple of Russians
    few others....

Re: Galaxie by Egin

This is what I generally refer to as a 'Post-Elgin Elgin'. In 1964, Elgin stopped making watch movements, closed down their Elgin IL factory and moved operations to South Carolina, where they simply cased imported movements and labled them 'Elgin' for about 5 years before completely collapsing. The Elgin name, one of the oldest in American watchmaking, was sold and every Elgin made since then is just a name.

That said, finding a New Old Stock watch from (at a guess) the 1970s is very exciting! I'd get it serviced before wearing it much. The oils will have dried out in 40 years and will work as abrasives, rather than lubricants!
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thread Information