Galli-Zurich pocket watch

Thread: Galli-Zurich pocket watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Galli-Zurich pocket watch

I am new on the watch block and, although I have owned a variety of watches, I have never owned a pocket watch; hence, my registration to Watchuseek. I recently inherited a gold (including hands) pocket watch. After careful scrutinizing, I found the watch to be in perfect operating conditon. There are a few minor dings on the cover and back, but it is a beautiful timepiece. It is monogrammed on the outside cover as to its original owner. The markings on the inside cover from top to bottom read: 18K inside a shield; a person's head possibly with a tiara; PROBUS SCAFUSIA encircled, with I.W.C. in the center separating the two words; numbered 607804. The white-colored dial has "Galli-Zurich" in script at top and a separate second hand at the bottom. The stem is pushed to open the case. Can anyone give me an idea of origin, age and value? :thanks before hand!
    Last edited by Jerry Murray; October 29th, 2008 at 05:28. Reason: wording

Re: Galli-Zurich pocket watch

In the posts at the top of the forum page, stuck at the top (hence the slag term 'stickies') is one on what we need to identify a watch. PICS!!! PICS of the insides of the watch are a thing of beauty and a joy forever...

Welcome!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

A few things:
    (1) It's probably an IWC watch based on the Latin inscription which means Schaffhausen Craftsmanship.
    (2) Serial number dates it to approx. 1913.
    (3) Galli was probably a jeweler in Zurich.
    (4) We don't give valuations here but it's a high quality watch in a gold hunter case probably.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Confused Re: Galli-Zurich pocket watch

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    In the posts at the top of the forum page, stuck at the top (hence the slag term 'stickies') is one on what we need to identify a watch. PICS!!! PICS of the insides of the watch are a thing of beauty and a joy forever...

Welcome!!
    uploading my pics is not favorable. It failed twice, even as a compressed file. Jer

A pity...

Go to www.photobucket.com - Register an account. It's free and easy.
    Upload pix there and copy & paste the URLs surrounded by image-tags [] with 'img' and '/img' in them respectively. (without ' ', and surrounded by the []).
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The IWC motto "Probus scafusia" literally means "Good things from Schaffhausen" (Schaffhausen being where IWC are located). The former company flagship, the grande complication "Il destriero scafusia" translates roughly as "The Schaffhausen Warhorse" (or battlehorse - the English speaking community might say "battle axe").

Hartmut Richter

Re: Galli-Zurich pocket watch pictures

This watch is in perfect working condition. face and crystal like new. Thanks for the photobucket tip. It worked! Jer
    Last edited by Jerry Murray; October 31st, 2008 at 07:18. Reason: subject pics

[quote=Jerry Murray;1413373 This watch is in perfect working condition. face and crystal like new. Thanks for the photobucket tip. It worked! Jer[/quote]

better size:

How about a picture of the movement. That is most important, although we are sure now it's an IWC.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Movement:
    Should I have it serviced if the pivot points are dry?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information