Is this a genuine Lord Elgin and how much is it worth?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is this a genuine Lord Elgin and how much is it worth?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this a genuine Lord Elgin and how much is it worth?

Hi

I am new to this and I come across this Lord Elgin watch and think it looks great!

Name:  267833935.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  49.3 KB

I did a bit of research and found that Lord Elgin watch have a few different logos... a star, a sideway S with a stroke down the middle, but is this one in the picture real (looks like the ON switch on a computer!)?

And how much is it approximately worth? The seller is asking for approximate US$180 (converted from a different currency), is that a bargain or a rip off?

Oh and another thing, could any see any lume on the dial and hand? It doesn't look like there is any and that is good for me!

Cheers
    Last edited by andybiotic; May 24th, 2013 at 08:09.

Re: Is this a genuine Lord Elgin and how much is it worth?

We don't do valuations but a thread above will give you an idea how to value a vintage watch.

Factor in an additional $100 for service. Looks nice. A movement pic would be very helpful.

Hope that helps.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Oh, sorry about that... my bad.

Sorry, I don't have the picture of the movement, it is a online sale and the seller didn't provide a picture.

Thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That symbol represents db, which stands for "durabalance".
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

What AbslomRob said.

The Durabalance was an innovation of Elgin's late period, introduced in 1958. It's a freesprung balance regulated by moving a pair of weights in or out relative to the balance staff, changing the angular momentum and thus the period of oscillation of the balance. The 'Dura' part comes from the spiral arms of the balance, which are supposed to dampen shocks to the watch, so that the heavy balance wheel rim doesn't pull the whole balance and snap the pivots. Elgin was so confident that they didn't put shock proof jeweling on the balance, and guaranteed it for life.

I wrote a blog post on these models....

Yours was made sometime between 1958 and 1964, when Elgin closed up shop in Elgin IL and stopped making watch movements. I could tell you more if I saw the movement.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about it being a fake. Lord Elgins aren't so rare or desirable that anyone has bothered faking them. One DOES occasionally see Frankens, like a dial with 'Lord Elgin' printed on it in a watch that belongs to one of Elgin's less prestigious lines, but these aren't common. Make sure the movement has at least 21 jewels and you'll be fine.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

My Elgin Blog...

BTW, the 'sideways S with a stroke through it' is actually 'dp', for Durapower, Elgin's unbreakable alloy mainspring introduced in 1947. Elgins from 1947 till 1958 had the 'dp' symbol, then Durabalance models got the 'db' symbol.

My Elgin Blog...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    What AbslomRob said.

The Durabalance was an innovation of Elgin's late period, introduced in 1958. It's a freesprung balance regulated by moving a pair of weights in or out relative to the balance staff, changing the angular momentum and thus the period of oscillation of the balance. The 'Dura' part comes from the spiral arms of the balance, which are supposed to dampen shocks to the watch, so that the heavy balance wheel rim doesn't pull the whole balance and snap the pivots. Elgin was so confident that they didn't put shock proof jeweling on the balance, and guaranteed it for life.

I wrote a blog post on these models....

Yours was made sometime between 1958 and 1964, when Elgin closed up shop in Elgin IL and stopped making watch movements. I could tell you more if I saw the movement.
    As always great info
    Seems very much WYLER - 1927 INCAFLEX patent

I can post it if you need
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

1927 patent? I guess that explains why Elgin was free to use the concept 30 years later!

Sure, post the patent!

My Elgin Blog...

Elgin's "Concept" had less to do with the "shock absorbing" design, and more to do with higher accuracy. The "shock absorbing" properties of the balance were an added benefit that I vaguely remember reading they were forced to back away from in their advertising.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information