Genuine Nivada Grenchen Aviator Sea Diver with arabic numerals?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Genuine Nivada Grenchen Aviator Sea Diver with arabic numerals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi!

I need your help to find out more information about my Nivada Grenchen Aviator Sea Diver with arabic numerals. I have seen few similar on the web (e.g. here CROTON (=NIVADA) Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver - UhrForum), but still think if this watch genuine or not. The things I really interesting are: non-signed crown, no information on the movement, no information on the case, the bezel looks unusual and, of course, the bracelet.

I like the watch, even it is not valuable for purists, but I want to know what is genuine there?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Genuine Nivada Grenchen Aviator Sea Diver with arabic numerals?

Sorry, I would suggest only the Dial was ever near the Nivada Factory. Case, movement, hands etc. seem later - maybe about 20 years newer I would estimate. Nivada was proud of its products, and I have never seen such a lack of signed pieces, even on the lowest of their ranges - and the chronomaster was certainly top end of the range.
    Last edited by trim; March 6th, 2016 at 00:50.
    finflyer likes this.

I cannot speculate too much on the dial, except for the fact that I have never seen the raised Arabic numerals on this model, most of them are lumed numerals. And I cannot see if it is marked "swiss made" at the bottom. The hands are incorrect for this model as well. The crown is not original, does not cover the stem tube. The caseback should always have some sort of company information, and the movement is missing what I always look for, the COW code, indicating Croton. And lastly, the bracelet is not original as well.
    aero-engineer and finflyer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I admit I am not sure about the dial, but it does seem to have some age to it. That said, I have not seen one with arabic numbers, that tachometer scale nor subdial markings.
    Last edited by trim; March 6th, 2016 at 00:58.
    aero-engineer likes this.

It's a redial, just look at how paint creeps up the 8 o'clock marker. Besides, I know this style of applied markers... With an unsigned Landeron 48 or derivative inside, and with these markers, there's one pretty obvious explanation- this watch started its life as a Chronographe Suisse. Case was probably destroyed for its gold content (although in a CS, with a wafer-thin case, there's not that much of it), the dial was repainted, the hands were replaced, and all of that was put into a diver-style steel case with a rotating bezel.

That said, it's one nasty frankenwatch. Or a fake, since it pretends to be something that it isn't. Although that's one dog, really, since whatever is the more suitable word to describe it, it's still something that you wouldn't want to have.
    Last edited by mkws; March 6th, 2016 at 04:05.
    finflyer likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I have seen similar hands on another NivadaName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457242519.788610.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  243.7 KB

Btw, in case it is fake, the watch presented in the UhrForum is the same watch or is it some another example of re-dialed Chronographe Suisse?

Ps. Sorry, now I see, they are different watches. From UhrForum:Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457243288.128302.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  350.8 KB

And mine: Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457243314.161153.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  264.9 KB
    Last edited by aero-engineer; March 6th, 2016 at 06:52.

Different lugs and bezels. If by any chance it's just the light and the shadows in the picture that cause an optical illusion of a redial, if by any chance Nivada did use CS-style applied markers, I still wouldn't believe that this watch is genuine. If that was at least a signed Landeron... But except for the dial, which is questionable, there isn't much evidence linking the watch to Nivada/Croton.
    aero-engineer and finflyer like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Ok, it is not a big surpise to me that my Nivada could be not genuine. The bezel, case, pushers, crown, movement are very suspicious. But there are few same/almost same dialed Nivada Grenchen Aviator Sea Diver with identical hands over the web, is there any chance to get any confirmation that such version was issued ever (for military, or as prototype etc) or never has been issued? Where to get this information? Unfortunately, I can not register to UhrForum and ask @docwatch (CROTON (=NIVADA) Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver - UhrForum), the forum do not accept any new members anymore....

The second option it could be to check the dial on the back, hope there find some info, but this I can do only in one or two months, when the watch will be delivered to me and I come to home from business trip to Switzerland.

Here's a nice little right-up. Not sure if it tell all, but....

Page Modèles
    aero-engineer likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information