Girard Perregaux Gyromatic 9443 HA
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By arndogg
  • 4 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Girard Perregaux Gyromatic 9443 HA

Girard Perregaux Gyromatic 9443 HA

So my interest in watches was recently piqued, and I remembered that my mom gave this watch to me back when I was in middle school. I think it belonged to my grandfather, but at that time, didn't really care, and I thought it wasn't real. Fast forward to present, I pull the thing out of storage. It had an elastic metal band from Spiegel on it, and it was rather tight on my already small wrist. So I decided to bring it to a local shop and get a new band. To my surprise, the guy said he liked it and he said it was real. On the case, underneath the top strap, it's engraved with 9443 HA.
    The watch works fine, time, date and alarm. I remember I accidentally left the alarm on back in 8th grade and it went off like a bomb in the middle of class. Scared my teacher. All I could say that it must be 9 o'clock.
    I texted a friend of mine who's into watches and he responded that my watch has a Jaeger Lecoultre movement in it, made between 1971-1976. It would be great if this was actually a birth watch, 1973 for me. Being that it's been in storage for a while, I suppose I should get it serviced. I'm in the Los Angeles area. Where should I start looking for a reputable watch shop that won't charge me an arm and a leg?
    Attached Images Attached Images

esdy_11192, OhDark30 and busmatt like this.

Re: Girard Perregaux Gyromatic 9443 HA

Very nice. Have a look in the sticky section above - there is a search feature for US watchmakers. Other L.A based members might also chime in. Bump.

Regards,

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek! That is a fine watch and indeed it has a JLC automatic alarm movement. It has the Cal. 916 which was the first (and up to now still the only one as far as I know) wrist alarm movement to have a full rotor automatic while at the same time managing to strike a pin on the case back to improve the resonance and sound volume. The way that was achieved was to "hollow out" the ball bearing of the rotor and allow the pin to go through the centre in order for a hammer in the movement to strike it there. Other automatic wrist alarms strike a bell inside the movement rather than using the case back as a resonator. That gives a nicer sound but is not nearly as loud.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: LeCoultre 916

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Welcome to Watchuseek! That is a fine watch and indeed it has a JLC automatic alarm movement. It has the Cal. 916 which was the first (and up to now still the only one as far as I know) wrist alarm movement to have a full rotor automatic while at the same time managing to strike a pin on the case back to improve the resonance and sound volume. The way that was achieved was to "hollow out" the ball bearing of the rotor and allow the pin to go through the centre in order for a hammer in the movement to strike it there. Other automatic wrist alarms strike a bell inside the movement rather than using the case back as a resonator. That gives a nicer sound but is not nearly as loud.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: LeCoultre 916

Hartmut Richter
    Great piece of information!
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

thanks for the info everyone

Thread Information