Girard Perregeux AS 1130 1960s

Thread: Girard Perregeux AS 1130 1960s

Girard Perregeux AS 1130 1960s

Hi Folks,

I'd like to solicit your collective wisdom on this offering:

VINTAGE GIRARD-PERREGAUX TEXTURED DIAL 1960's | eBay

I'm trying to learn about vintage watches and so did do some due diligence. The movement seems correct although it's not exactly like the picture on Ranftt ... Pretty close though.

It doesn't look like a redial to me. Although the small seconds aren't eating much of the six. Perhaps that's OK for this GP? It concerns me, however.

The case seems to be pretty well worn through polishing.

The crown, although signed, looks wrong to me.

Did I do a good job in my investigations? I should add that I'm not at all interested in this particular watch, this was just an educational exercise for me!
    Last edited by Klipspringer; December 9th, 2012 at 20:50. Reason: Typo

Re: Girrard Perregeux AS 1130 1960s

How do you know the GP calibre? I see no indications. Nor is there an import code (which means it was not destined to the States). Nor is there shock protection (which puts doubt on the 1980 dating). I agree the crown is probably not original -- sticks out too far for a dress watch like this.

Textured dials are difficult to redial. This one looks original. The caseback interior logo is correct, AFAIK.

That's all I see. Hope it helps.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks Eeeeb that's very helpful to know about textured dials. The calibre is just based on what I saw here:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Girard-Perregaux 27 (AS 1130)

I went through all the GP list of manuals until I spotted the closest one. Then I Googled for GP and AS 1130 and saw a few references to GP doing this calibre. The watch is from the 1960s according to the description.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

How much of the six gets eaten by the sub dial largely depends on how large the case/ dial is compared to the size of the movement. Clearly this case is oversized so you get to see a lot of the six. The case is chromed so the wear underneath appears to be more likely the result of removing the stainless steel back - note the scratches that run up the side of the case and that the brass is only really visible on that one side. If the case were worn I'd expect to see wear on the bottoms of lugs (where they touch the wrist) and around the winder - neither of which I can see. I too am also somewhat surprised to see a lack of shock protection on this watch and to me that would push the date back beyond the sixties and even in the Fifties when these dials were popular I would have expected it.

It does look like an AS1130. I note the example Dr. Ranfft displays is from 1945 so the 1980 date is almost certainly incorrect. It looks like a 40's watch to me.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Hi ladies,

the best one can say about this junk is that the crown is likely from GP, and that fakes become better - no surprise, since cheap hobby CNC mills simplify grinding signatures into back and bridges. Newbies should always look to other offers of the same seller, and if so many have redials, sometimes even with a print covering raised markers, one should better stay away from such botchers, and leave their junk to people not asking questions here.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information