Glasgow W&D (?) screw case C1926..... mystery movement.....

Thread: Glasgow W&D (?) screw case C1926..... mystery movement.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glasgow W&D (?) screw case C1926..... mystery movement.....

Hi Guys and Gals...

Todays arrival is what was described as 'loose movement', 'unusual steel case', 'worn but it's not in bad condition'.... watch!

I nearly went passed it, as I thought it was a ladies watch... the proportions of the lugs to case threw me.... but asked the question and the case width was confirmed as 34mm.... which made me think the lugs were later additions - which they are!

But, as it came on a good quality 18mm strap.... it could be worn straight away....

The odd thing is... the steel case is hallmarked as solid silver

I can make out the import mark for Glasgow and 'd' date letter for 1926..... The thing I dont know, is the maker/sponser - W & D - which im hoping someone will recognise???????

Other than the case that I dont recognise.... the movement is another mystery....

Base plate does not give much away in the way of markings (stamped 343).... but sure someone brainy will know what it is.....

So.... any thought on the case or movement???

Cheers
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: Glasgow W&D (?) screw case C1926..... mystery movement.....

Case mark is Wilsdorf & Davis (Rolex).

The movement is not an Agler, and not one used by Rolex. I do recognise it, so I will tell you soon.

So, choices are:

1. Old fake Rolex
    2. Genuine Polished rolex case, with a frankened in movement
    3. Buggered if I know.
    Last edited by trim; April 12th, 2012 at 22:03.

My initial movement guess would be MST or Buren but I haven't checked the setting works

What is the movement diameter?
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Its a Revue, 13''' Cal 38
    Last edited by trim; April 12th, 2012 at 22:33. Reason: brain fade

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Case mark is Wilsdorf & Davis (Rolex).

The movement is not an Agler, and not one used by Rolex. I do recognise it, so I will tell you soon.

So, choices are:

1. Old fake Rolex
    2. Genuine Polished rolex case, with a frankened in movement
    3. Buggered if I know.

All very interesting....

Could W&D stand for something else??? or is that shape surround also the same as Wilsdorf??

Would someone bother to fake a Wilsdorf case, then not bother to write rolex anywhere?

In the fear you may get on your soap box.... the case was quite dirty and tarnished... it still has many deep scratches all over... but I have given the case a buff......
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Could W&D stand for something else??? or is that shape surround also the same as Wilsdorf??
    Nope. That is their mark, exactly. So,

1. A fake W&D mark - I can't authenticate this case either way.
    2. A franken.
    3. One of the 'cheap' sub brands - but I have not seen Revue movements before, but I am no Rolex expert.

Its a Revue, 13''' Cal 38
    Did you see I ID'd it while you were posting.
    Last edited by trim; April 12th, 2012 at 22:40.

Nope. That is their mark, exactly. So, a fake W&D mark, or just a franken. However, the mark looks different to the rest, but there is no maker's mark. So, I can't authenticate this case either way, but it would be safest to assume it is a fake mark, due to the absence of other case screw marks.

Did you see I ID'd it as a LIP? While you were posting.
    I did not see the ID until I had replied.... thanks trim!

As for the case.... Im certainly surprised....

Im trying to work out in my head what could have happened for the case to have this mark?

I still dont see why you would bother just to stamp the inside of the case.... if you were going to try and fake it... why not add 'Rolex' to the case, ratchet wheel or dial!

Unless the original rolex movement has been taken out....

But, again, I would be surprised.... it all looks pretty original. The level of dirt/tarnish around the case and on the movement (cleaned before pics) makes me think nothing had been done in a while...

The watch certainly wasnt sold as anything to do with Rolex/W&D.... there was only one pic of the watch from the front... the seller sells jewellery and guess she said 'steel' as she could not see any hallmarks... as she could not get into the case!

I just thought it may have been a dennison screw case from the one front pic (design certainly looks and feels like a dennison)

Marc
    Last edited by Sparcster; April 12th, 2012 at 22:48.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Revue, not LIP. I had a brain fade and edited, while you were posting your reply.

LIP did do an almost identical 11.5''' movement, while Revue shows the 13'''. So yours is listed as a revue, but I can't believe the similarity is an accident.

See #3, above for a possibility

3. One of the 'cheap' sub brands - but I have not seen Revue movements before, but I am no Rolex expert.

Thanks Kris,

I know even less about rolex's.... Highlighted by the fact I didn't even know the mark W&D... So you know more than me!!!

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Just found this write up....

eBay Guides - Buying a ROLEX Ladies or Gents Wrist Watch

The part I found interesting and maybe relevant:

'Prior to WW2, Rolex marketed 2nd quality brands such as Genex, Marconi, Unicorn and Rolco, mostly in full Rolex stamped cases. After handling many Rolex wrist watches, I have noted that these are generally watch movements bought in from other wrist watch movement makers and normally of poor quality.. However, saying that, the Rolco brand can sometimes give the odd surprise, take the dial off and quite often they will be stamped Rolex.'

I am speculating here... But this be something along these lines (as you suggest trim)

I will try and contact that guy for his thoughts!

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information