Glass for Smith Empire Watch

Thread: Glass for Smith Empire Watch

Glass for Smith Empire Watch

Hi I am hoping someone can help me please I own a Smith Empire pocket watch without the glass ( I managed to break it somehow) I wish to get the Mineral glass replaced and the numbers & dials re luminousated I have tried a few shops where I live and only multi jeweller shop gave a price just to replace the glass they wanted £65! ($95) I don't mind paying but that is taking the Mick. Can anybody recommend either a shop or a watch maker on the internet please so I can get the watch sorted out in the uk. Thanks

Re: Glass for Smith Empire Watch

Expensive, heavy mineral glass (assuming just a standard round/domed) retails for about $5.00 (new). A tube of good quality UV glue is 6.00. I'm not familiar with the Smith Empire, so I don't know how tricky it is to remove the bezel, but on most pocket watches thats not a huge trick. You'd want to clean it and scrape out the groves with a piece of pegwood to ensure the old adhesive is removed (assuming the old crystal was glass and not plastic); normally takes about 5-10 minutes. Applying the new glue is probably the "trickiest" part because you don't want to make a mess (the advantage of using the UV glue is that you don't need to rush and you can wipe off any drops) and then dropping the new crystal into place, and leave it in the sunlight for a few hours.

If people really want to spend $100 on that, maybe I'll start advertising my services; seems like easy money to me.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Its possible to buy a working example in decent condition on ebay for around about £20. Or a non-runner for parts for even less. As Rob says, it might be worth having a go yourself.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericcharles60 View Post
    Hi I am hoping someone can help me please I own a Smith Empire pocket watch without the glass ( I managed to break it somehow) I wish to get the Mineral glass replaced and the numbers & dials re luminousated I have tried a few shops where I live and only multi jeweller shop gave a price just to replace the glass they wanted £65! ($95) I don't mind paying but that is taking the Mick. Can anybody recommend either a shop or a watch maker on the internet please so I can get the watch sorted out in the uk. Thanks
    Try this chap:
    Ryte Time Watch Repairs,watch repairs leicestershire,east midlands,leicester
    He's in the UK, has a good reputation and is willing to work on old British watches.

However if you're looking for a watch repairer in your local neighbourhood, forget the high street jewellers. You need to find the guys with no street frontage. They're the ones who the jewellers send the work to, but it's cheaper if you go direct.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information