Glycine Compressor Help
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Glycine Compressor Help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Glycine Compressor Help

Went on a treasure hunt on ebay and bought a blurry 3- watch lot. One watch is junk (a Hormilton ) description said it was a Hamilton , second is not much better(swiss Westclox 17 jewel). Both of these do work. But the third is a Glycine Compressor. This came with a gold fill Kreisler band that by my estimate has $24 worth of gold in. ( that is $2 less than I paid for all 3 watches.

The glycine sets and winds but is not running. My question? I really don't know what a compressor is. Can I just pop the back off to see what the condition the mechanism is in, or for that matter what the mechanism is? Or because it is a compressor, does it need special watchmaker equipment to even open it up. And because I spent effectively nothing on it, is it worth putting some real money into it. Any info on this watch welcome

Thanks
    Giotime
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt, Emre and bobbee like this.

Re: Glycine Compressor Help

Hormilton? Something like all these Longenes and Omooga?
    Compressor? To put it simply- it's a type of a case construction. It had something to do with pressure and gaskets. And seals. Truth be told, when I hear "compressor", I think of car engines. Mercedes engines, to be exact- their cars equipped with engines with the compressor usually have a plaque on the trunk informing about that...
    Hopefully someone will explain it to you in a more detailed way.
    As to the watch itself, it's a Glycine, so it is worth putting money into it... as long as it's not a franken. Without a movement picture, I guess we all are unable to tell you if it's all good or not. It might need re-plating, as most of the gold seems to be gone. Dial, on the other hand, looks to be in a great shape! Best advice for now? Post the movement. Until then, there's nothing more that I could possibly say. Since it is a Glycine, I guess Emre will be able to tell you more.
    busmatt and Emre like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks mkws. I have same confusion with the term. Like the caseback is compressed on with a certain pressure and therefore unwise to use a case knife to pop open?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dunno. Never tried opening a compressor case. Let's wait for the others to chime in- I do not want to provide any advice, following which could possibly lead to damaging the watch. I'm curious myself, as a matter of fact.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Her's some info that may help.

SCUBAWATCH.ORG EPSA SUPER-COMPRESSOR FAQ
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Thanks Tin. Great information. Sounds like even if I try to get the caseback off, I may have one heck of a time. Probably look like a checkerboard by the time I'm done. From the way it looks, I don't think the back has ever been off. But I gotta see that movement. Probably just take it to my watchmaker . It certainly will need his help no matter what. None know what mechanism might be in there.
    busmatt likes this.

edit...double post
    Last edited by Emre; June 13th, 2015 at 10:03.

Hello Giotime,nice find for such an amount of money.The bracelet is really nice and classy.

As for the Glycine Compressor,the case-back is a pop-off style case-back. You may need a case-back opener and the edges are a bit more deeper than usual case-backs since it's a compressor case.There should be a half finger print alike mark on the 'compressor' text on case-back. You are recommended to open it from there:

Name:  DSC06010 (Small).JPG
Views: 417
Size:  144.2 KB

There should be a model identification number on case - back along with another six or seven digit serial number.These digits may be faded but still visible under correct light angle, like: 332.112 and 987654. Between the lugs 'EPSA and gold plating degree would be stamped like ' Plaque 20G EPSA '. The crown of the watch would be cross hatched which is compressor case signature crown.

The numbers on case-back identify the case shape,material and movement. Different movements were utilized in these models.All ETA, so as 2622,2472... depending on the manufacture year. They have been manufactured from late '60s to the mid '70s.Inside the case-back there should be the month and year identifying its casing date by Ervin Piquerez Société Anonyme ( EPSA, case-maker ):

Name:  DSC06008 (Small).JPG
Views: 416
Size:  161.7 KB

In 1972 Glycine catalog lists these models and they do retail for 180-230 CHF price range depending on the case material:

Name:  DSC06017 (Small).JPG
Views: 421
Size:  134.7 KB

These watches are generally well preserved and if you intend to wear it, it will serve you well after a service.
    Last edited by Emre; June 13th, 2015 at 15:54.
    bobbee, James A, mkws and 4 others like this.

Emre. Many thanks, wonderful,extremely helpful information ! Found the numbers on caseback 313813
    toward the bottom: 332.112
    979341. And Plaque G 20. Between the lugs. And found the part thumbprint. Crown is crosshatched.
    i will try to get the back opened and post picture of the movement and the case after I clean it up a bit.

thanks again
    G
    Emre and busmatt like this.

Emre. FINALLY got the case off using caseback knife, WD40 lubricant, and some pressure with a crystal lift. And no scratches. Sent photos of caseback and movement. They are the same as the pictures you sent me, which you probably knew they would be from 1968. What would the ETA movement number be?

The movement is not working. I will of course be taking it to my watchmaker. That photo of the little silver piece was loose in the movement. Know what that is? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Emre likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information