Golay wristwatch. Any info?

Thread: Golay wristwatch. Any info?

Golay wristwatch. Any info?

Found this strange gold wristwatch. I'm guessing it is from 20's ot 30's. I couldn't find any movement references or watches that looked like this one. Anyone can share some info on this one?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anyone? Anything? 🙂

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Golay wristwatch. Any info?

Dial has been repainted. I’m sure someone will suggest the calibre.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Dial has been repainted. I’m sure someone will suggest the calibre.
    I know about dial being refinished.
    It's the movement that puzzle me. I don't see this Cal listed and this company name brings some strange search results.

Quote Originally Posted by lennyt11421 View Post
    I know about dial being refinished.
    It's the movement that puzzle me. I don't see this Cal listed and this company name brings some strange search results.
    As found on the net:

A. Golay Swiss watch manufacture

A. Golay - was founded in 1837 in Geneva by David "Auguste" Golay-Leresche . Possible Henri Golay was also working for this company. Among other things, fine tailor watches with ultraflat Bagnolet caliber were made. In 1841 , Auguste Golay entered into a partnership with Louis Gunther, which was dissolved again in 1842

Around 1857 the company was renamed A. Golay-Leresche & Fils or Golay-Leresche & Fils . Davis Louis Golay became a jeweler and representative of A. Golay - Leresche & Fils in Paris on Rue de la Paix 2. The son of Pierre Golay became a watchmaker and later directed the company in Geneva on the Quai des Bergues 31.

David "Auguste" Golay died in Geneva in 1895 . After the death of Augustus in 1895, his sons Pierre and David Louis took over the company and in 1896 entered into a partnership with Edouard Stahl . The name of the company was changed to Golay Fils & Stahl.

Golay's importing business in the US closed it's doors in the 1920's according to another web site. But I also found the following recent announcement: "Frédéric Piguet SA acquires François Golay SA, producer of wheels and other watch components. François Golay SA specialized in the development of high-quality wheels and other watch components."

Golay Fils & Stahl company continues on in Switzerland and specialize in antique/exclusive jewellery, diamonds, etc. Not sure how these two companies are connected but it would appear might be run by the descendants of the original founder.

The movement looks kinda FHF(-ish) to me. Perhaps an FHF 61 or similar: https://uhrforum.de/threads/identifi...4#post-2541529

Thread Information