The GOLD junker? Possible ID please??
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The GOLD junker? Possible ID please??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question The GOLD junker? Possible ID please??

Hello Everyone,
    I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time to look at my post. I finally have a chance to possibly identify a watch that I came across a few years back. I was working in a town in Switzerland and on my lunch break I checked out a years sale down the road from our work site. I came across a miscellaneous box and offered the lady a 20 dollar bill for the contents and she agreed. I bought it for the harmony remote sitting on the top of the box. Upon searching what other goodies I collected I came across a small box containing the watch (what's left anyway) inside. I have countlessly tried to research the watch and have always come to a dead end. I hope with the help of all you wonderful people I can put this mystery to bed. I believe there is all the markings visible in the pictures except for the markings on the movement which is HJ 2452. Since I came across this watch it has sparked a love for watches and have quite a nice collection already. I keep an eye out for nice deals and unique items since coming across this particular watch. It would just be great to finally ID it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for looking!

All the best!

MitchTime

Name:  20170806_105531.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  850.1 KBName:  Screenshot_20170804-212805.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  277.4 KBName:  20170805_155005.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  1.31 MBName:  20170805_155010.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  1.11 MBName:  20170805_154955.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  1.27 MBName:  20170805_155026.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  1.21 MBName:  20170805_155049.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  1.43 MBName:  20170805_155033.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  1.42 MB

Re: The GOLD junker? Possible ID please??

This should help, looks like and ETA 2452 bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 2452 at least a start, next is to see what watches it was fitted to
    MitchTime likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieB View Post
    ...next is to see what watches it was fitted to
    That list should end up including the Who's Who of Swiss watch companies using generic but high quality (Swiss lever) movements! And will number several hundred, if not in excess of 1000 companies!

Ultimately, with such watches, the brand is fairly immaterial. The identification of the exact movement is what counts. And we have now reached that point.

Hartmut Richter
    badbackdan and MitchTime like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The unusual thing is the three batons at 12 and two for all other numbers, generally 2 and 1 or 2 for 12, 3, 6, 9
    MitchTime likes this.

There is a movement number under the rotor, please read it and tell us what it says. Does it indeed say 2452?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the original post carefully enough.
    Last edited by badbackdan; August 10th, 2017 at 00:42.
    MitchTime likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    That list should end up including the Who's Who of Swiss watch companies using generic but high quality (Swiss lever) movements! And will number several hundred, if not in excess of 1000 companies!
    I agree. Although the case is solid gold, the absence of any customization on the rotor suggests to me that this was not from a major name brand. Too bad you didn't scrap it 5 years ago.
    Last edited by badbackdan; August 10th, 2017 at 00:44.
    MitchTime likes this.

It is very sad that it is in a bad state. I absolutely love it somehow all the same. I was seriously thinking of having it restored (if it is at all possible anymore). I am not a watch guy, but due to this watch it has somehow stoked a new passion for everything the watch world has to offer. Seeing as how the whole box cost me 20 bucks I should think I made out ok. Should i scrap it and run with the scrap gold payday or would you recommend I hang onto it? Perhaps have it looked at in a shop or so?? I wish i could put my ear up to it and it would tell me its whole history...its had a rough life. There is even dirt on it. Maybe one time it was in the muck for a spell?? Who knows!

Thank you for your comments and answers!

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by MitchTime View Post
    It is very sad that it is in a bad state. I absolutely love it somehow all the same. I was seriously thinking of having it restored (if it is at all possible anymore). I am not a watch guy, but due to this watch it has somehow stoked a new passion for everything the watch world has to offer. Seeing as how the whole box cost me 20 bucks I should think I made out ok. Should i scrap it and run with the scrap gold payday or would you recommend I hang onto it? Perhaps have it looked at in a shop or so?? I wish i could put my ear up to it and it would tell me its whole history...its had a rough life. There is even dirt on it. Maybe one time it was in the muck for a spell?? Who knows!

Mitch
    If you've got money - definitely restore it.

The case was made in Switzerland by Classicor SA.

The dial backside or movement may reveal the rest of the story.
    MitchTime likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Quote Originally Posted by pithy View Post
    If you've got money - definitely restore it.

The case was made in Switzerland by Classicor SA.

The dial backside or movement may reveal the rest of the story.

I have some money, by no means am I rich or anything, but what kind of money would we be talking to restore something like this?? Ballpark of course. Perhaps someone could take a shot in the dark? 1000? 2500? 5000?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchTime View Post

Mitch
    It's a common movement, so it can certainly be restored. You would probably end up buying a donor movement and having a watchmaker rebuild it with as many replacement parts as necessary. Then you would need to add hands, crown, etc. You could probably buy a decent stainless Longines or Omega for the amount it would cost you to restore it. And no matter how much money you sink into it, I don't think it will ever be worth much more than the scrap value. My inclination would be to scrap it, and buy a watch in better condition.

However, we can't put a price on its sentimental value - only you can do that. And since I'm not really a fan of the c-shape cases, I'm probably not the right person to ask.
    MitchTime likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information