goldplated wear and tear
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: goldplated wear and tear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    goldplated wear and tear

    Hi all,

    I have a nice Pontiac chrono with a Landeron 148 movement. I've repaired and serviced it and it runs beautifully and all the chrono parts function correctly.
    The only thing is that it's goldplated and the case and especially the pushers and lugs are in a pretty bad condition.
    I'll receive a Pontiac with Venus 170 movement soon. A great column wheel movement and the dial has a lovely patina and crisp lettering. The condition of the case is even worse though :)
    Normally I would leave a watch alone as much as possible. Just a service and a cleaning and that's it. However in these cases I think that they would look much better replated.
    Would you consider to get the case replated? I've seen some results of a local company and it looks stunning. What are your thoughts on originality?
    I'm not really worried about the value. I was able to get them really cheap because of the condition of the case and pushers and I will keep them for daily wear anyway.

    Name:  2015-12-13 15.38.56.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  190.7 KB

  2. #2
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,559

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    If the case is battered badly enough for you not to enjoy the watch, then I would recommend having it replated. I'd say that the only cases which might actually suffer from replating are the ones with contrast polishing. This one doesn't look to have that, not at first glance at least. It's also no Omega or Rolex to be so concerned about originality even of the details visible only under a proper microscope. That said, while deciding whether to replate an Omega or not might drive one into paranoia, this is not the case here. There, every detail matters, and here- no, not really.
    Would I wear a replated watch? Sure, why not? I don't mind it.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    If the case is battered badly enough for you not to enjoy the watch, then I would recommend having it replated. I'd say that the only cases which might actually suffer from replating are the ones with contrast polishing. This one doesn't look to have that, not at first glance at least. It's also no Omega or Rolex to be so concerned about originality even of the details visible only under a proper microscope. That said, while deciding whether to replate an Omega or not might drive one into paranoia, this is not the case here. There, every detail matters, and here- no, not really.
    Would I wear a replated watch? Sure, why not? I don't mind it.
    I agree. It's funny though, especially concerning the other one with the Venus 170 movement. It's exactly the same movement that's in many vintage Breitling and Heuer chronos. They would fetch a couple k's and this one- no, not really ;) Out of the box, like Adam said in one of his seminars.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,140

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    Venus 170 is my favorite affordable chrono, they are small, so watches usually endup small and cute yet dials are high in details
    Chaos is my focus

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Venus 170 is my favorite affordable chrono, they are small, so watches usually endup small and cute yet dials are high in details
    35 mm without pushers and crown isn't that small right?

  7. #6
    Member mkws's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,559

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage1982 View Post
    35 mm without pushers and crown isn't that small right?
    No, it isn't, but it isn't an oversize either.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

    (...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

    For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,140

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    They sometimes put a movement inside fat metal ring so the watch gets bigger in mm :)
    Chaos is my focus

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    They sometimes put a movement inside fat metal ring so the watch gets bigger in mm :)
    Yup I know, wouldn't want a chrono under 34 mm.

  10. #9
    Zenith Forum Co-moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    16,996

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    Personally, I wouldn't advise against replating it if it has gone rather far, but I would point out that a new looking, shiny case contrasts a little with the slightly worn dial. My personal choice would then be to have both redone. On the example shown, I'd leave both in their original condition.

    Hartmut Richter

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    584

    Re: goldplated wear and tear

    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't advise against replating it if it has gone rather far, but I would point out that a new looking, shiny case contrasts a little with the slightly worn dial. My personal choice would then be to have both redone. On the example shown, I'd leave both in their original condition.

    Hartmut Richter
    I agree that with the example shown I still haven't made up my mind. The dial is a bit weathered too but I like it. It just shows that it's a vintage and it has history to it. The case is in a similar condition and it suits the overall condition.
    On the Venus 170 however, the case is even worse but the dial is in a better condition. The lugs are all completely worn so that the base metal is showing. Too bad I can't show it because I don't have it in my possession yet. When I do receive it, I will show some pictures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. G7900 wear and tear
      By pachungo in forum Reviews
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: August 16th, 2019, 06:02
    2. wear and tear?
      By zhan in forum Rolex & Tudor
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: October 27th, 2011, 03:40
    3. Reasonable wear and tear?
      By DeeDoubleYou in forum TAG Heuer
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: October 2nd, 2011, 13:53
    4. Chronograph Wear and Tear
      By Tonster in forum TAG Heuer
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: June 15th, 2009, 04:45

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •