Good Pocket Watch?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Good Pocket Watch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Good Pocket Watch?

I have nerve damage in my arm that makes it difficult to wear my watches. I'm thinking of getting a pocket watch. What are good brands? What should I look for?

TIA,
    Tony

Re: Good Pocket Watch?

Hi Tony,

It's best to buy a good-quality vintage pocketwatch from an American manufacturer, or to buy a good-quality modern one, from a manufacturer of note (although these last watches, will cost significantly more than vintage watches).

Old watchmakers of quality timepieces included:

Waltham, Hamilton, Ball, Elgin, Rockford, Illinois, Omega, Bulova, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Tissot (Tissot & PP still make pocketwatches today).

I wear a pocketwatch on a daily basis, mostly for reasons of style, and me being weird, but it's also a great advantage to have a nice, big, chunky pocketwatch which I can read without straining my eyes like I would with a wristwatch.

There are some companies that make cheap, gold-plated mechanical and quartz watches, but their quality is not always what it probably should be. They look really pretty, but I wouldn't rely on one as a daily timepiece. If you want quality in ANYTHING, it's best to buy one from the era when they were most common, because back then, quality meant everything.
    Last edited by Shangas; May 26th, 2012 at 04:18.
    Benny P likes this.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

You missed out Zenith!! The company that won mor prizes for accuracy than any other AND mainly a pocket watch maker until WWII! Plus Longines, also with a large output of pocket watches until WWII. At the same time, you can probably scratch Rolex off that list - their pocket watch output has always been far below that of their wrist watch production.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haha! I'm sorry, Hartmut! Yes, you're right! I'd forgotten all about Zenith!

I didn't know Longines made pocketwatches...that's something new to me.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Banned

If the company existed before, say, WW2, they made pocket watches.

Even Benrus made pocket watches (and they're the company that advertised special deals for people to move into the "future" by trading in their old pocketwatches).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks Hartmut, my heart sank when I didn't see my Zenith on the list......way to get our collective Zenith backs!

Peace,
    Preston

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    You missed out Zenith!! The company that won mor prizes for accuracy than any other AND mainly a pocket watch maker until WWII! Plus Longines, also with a large output of pocket watches until WWII. At the same time, you can probably scratch Rolex off that list - their pocket watch output has always been far below that of their wrist watch production.

Hartmut Richter
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

Is it safe to say that there aren't any quality new pocket watches under $500? I wanted to get one for my brother for his college graduation, but my searches come up with the C.H. brand (which is not very well recommended, based on my research), the Orient pocket watch, and other offerings well out of my price range. I am reluctant to dabble in the vintage category since I am not well-versed in that.
    Not trying to thread-jack. Seems relevant to the discussion and topic.

Just remember that pocket watches were out of style by 1930, the last US made one dates to 1969. The Swiss still make some with the ETA 6498 or 6498 movements. Aero and Davosa are two brands, but they probably are over $500. The Orient is an excellent watch, very accurate and good looking IMHO, but rather small for a man's PW.
    Benny P likes this.

look in my colection and there you will see what is good pocket watch.I hawe american watches and Swiss,and almast all vintage only one dated younger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information