Good price for 917 movement??

Thread: Good price for 917 movement??

Good price for 917 movement??

Good morning all! Let me say I love this wonderful community and Ive only been looking around unregistered for a month or so. But decided today was the day to sign up.

Ive developed this slight addiction to mechanical watches and a hobby of tinkering with them.

Im looking to build my father a 917 based homage to his original Hamilton WWW from his time in Vietnam for his 65th birthday.

My question is two fold, what should I be prepared to spend on a non historical value/ "normal" functioning 917 movement alone? It seems they routinely exceed $100 on Ebay, is this acceptable? Secondly, are balance staffs easily sourced to repair this common 917 failure?

Thank you in advance for your consideration of my queries :)

Re: Good price for 917 movement??

Years ago there was Shugart's Complete Price Guide To Watches which was what the market generally used to price watches. Now there is eBay. Like an auction price, an eBay price is a concrete comparable.

I don't know about balance staffs.

I suspect many collect just Hamilton movements. They were amazingly fine and Swatchco would have a difficult time duplicating them enmass 75 years later. Like American pocket watches, they represent the best of their era.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Good price for 917 movement??

welcome. we don't do valuations here so as Eeeb said Ebay is the place to search. Look for ended auctions to get an idea. Be aware that some people tend to ask more then is actually worth, but in the end an item is worth what customers are willing to pay for it. Try to stay away from countries like India, Ukraine, etc even if the price is attractive. Maybe you could get a spares/repair movement and replace the faulty parts at yours.

Thread Information