Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch

I have a couple of thoughts on this watch.

1st - It likely is platinum. Lots of old jewelry, as it was pointed out above is often unmarked regarding the metal content. However, this mostly applies to gold items. I have several pieces of vintage jewelry that range between the 1830s and 1910 and most of the gold items (9k to 14k) are unmarked. These are likely one-of items that were made by a local jeweler and it was custom to not mark them with anything other than a makers mark. Higher end stuff and items that were mass-produced (think watch cases) however are generally marked. Platinum is different: it is almost always marked. Platinum wasn't generally used in jewelry until the very last part of the 19th Century; rarely is it unmarked. I have a platinum watch (ca. 1920) a family piece and it came to my possession because no one thought to look inside the case (where is is marked Plat/Irid). Yours will likely be marked on the inside of the case.

2nd - Agassizi is another possibility: google returns a number of hits that suggest there is a relationship between the two companies in the beginning of the 20th century. Also, the Swartchild's catalog shows several Agassi movements with similar bridge styles.

3rd - The case bezel is likely threaded rather than being a snap type. If you want to try it, use one of the rubber ball case openers and give it a light twist on the back. If it turns and loosens than you have confirmed this. If it remains tight or wont turn at all it then may be a snap back. You might then consider taking it to a good watch maker.

*until white gold or platinum was used in jewelry, sterling was the only white metal choice to show off diamonds (think late 1700s to mid-1800s). I've known of one jeweler that bought a $5 'costume jewelry' ring at an estate sale that was actually several mine cut diamonds set in sterling.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Re: Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    2nd - Agassizi is another possibility: google returns a number of hits that suggest there is a relationship between the two companies in the beginning of the 20th century. Also, the Swartchild's catalog shows several Agassi movements with similar bridge styles.
    You could be on to something with Agassiz Jack, look what a search turned up....

Agassiz Platinum Diamond Ruby Swiss Pocket Watch | eBay

This watch seems to be of a lesser quality than the Tiffany watch when looking at the setting of the stones, but then I would
    expect Tiffanys' jewellers to be a class above.

These watches must be closely related in design and execution only the Tiffany watch takes it up a notch IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information