Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch

Hey there guys!

A friend recently brought this to my attention, and quite frankly I have no idea what it is or what to tell her about it. Its a base metal, I know that, but other than that i'm clueless. We also can't figure out how to remove the back. There are real diamonds and rubies in this. The movement is marked Tiffany and Co but we don't know who made the movement for them. Any help?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Gorgeous Base Metal Tiffany and Co Watch

I must say that I would be very wary of that one! If it was a real and original Tiffany, I doubt very much that they would put real precious stones into a base metal case.

The movement is obviously of a high quality. It was obviously made to be put into a watch for Tiffany (unless the movement inscription is faked and I think that it hasn't been). The maker could be someone like IWC or an even more renowned maker, such as Vacheron & Constantin or even Patek Philippe. Here is a similar (but not identical) example by IWC:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: IWC 77

Unfortunately, the dial is rather less convincing. The inscription is a little crude and the regularity of the minute markers quite appalling. Obviously, I can't judge the quality of the (precious?!) stones. On the whole, I therefore think that the watch is a fake, based on a real movement that has been deprived of its case and dial due to melt down for gold content or other reasons.

Hartmut Richter
    Mirius likes this.

The movement might be also from Meylan, Tiffany has many watches with CH Meylan Brassus movements from the early 19hundreds, but I won't be surprised if its a Cressarrow finished watch from Henry Blank due to the precious stones. Below the first at the right up looks very similar just simetric scanned.But I agree with Hartmut, doesnt make sense all those rubies and diamonds - if real to case into ss material. Due to my limited knowledge the hands look like being replaced from similar era style actually, but more from a wristwatch not a pocketwatch.

Last edited by Emre; January 3rd, 2013 at 00:14.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Unfortunately, the dial is rather less convincing. The inscription is a little crude and the regularity of the minute markers quite appalling. Obviously, I can't judge the quality of the (precious?!) stones. On the whole, I therefore think that the watch is a fake, based on a real movement that has been deprived of its case and dial due to melt down for gold content or other reasons.

Hartmut Richter
    This is an instance were watch-in-hand will tell the difference between scrap and valuable. The case may be white gold not base metal. (American jewelry gold is often not hallmarked.) The gems may be real and valuable. At this point you are appraising jewelry. The watch part (movement) is probably OK. The dial does look a bit plain and underdone, but I have seen Tiffany & Co. dials that were pretty plain. And the indices may be better than pictured. But pictures will not cut it here. Someone who has understanding of both watches and jewelry has to have the watch in hand.

Tiffany will authenticate their pieces, I believe. I would assume they would charge for that service.
    radger likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

There are substantial differences between the OP's movement and the one shown; the shape of the balance cock being the most significant, but the design of the click is also quite different. They share a common ebauche design, but that's about it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

This is a lovely, jewellers pendant watch with a very high quality movement.

The case design is very unusual in that it is 'skeletonised' to be 'see through' from both
    back and front and set with precious stones.

Could the case be Platinum or stainless steel, if it was white gold it might lack the strength and rigidity
    this case design requires.
    Whatever the case material, I wouldn't write it off as a fake simply because it is not gold. It looks like a
    very well designed and expensive production to me, very art-deco.
    Mirius likes this.

If that's a base metal case, then I'm Prince Charles. It almost certainly a platinum case, because platinum was very rarely marked.
    "Civilization gets what it wants, is willing to pay for, and ultimately deserves".

Banned

God I hope it's platinum..I could see a layer of some type of plating (or what looked to be that) under a loupe..which made me think it was base metal..I'll be seeing the piece again on Tuesday ill keep us updated. I'd like to add it to my collection but (insert "that" question here..) I can't find anything else like it to compare in order to determine value or a good purchase price.

When you examine again this watch, pay close attention to the raised bezel settings around the
    precious stones, this type of work can only be applied to particular metals and alloys.... usualy gold
    or platinum.
    A jeweller would be able to give you informed advice, I agree with Smout and I'll bet on this piece being
    made from platinum.

Edit
    It's hardly surprising that you can find nothing like it to compare. This type of production would be fairly
    exclusive and would be a very limited production or maybe even a one off.
    Last edited by radger; January 5th, 2013 at 11:06. Reason: addition

Value derives from the jewels and setting, not the timepiece. Jewelers can value.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information