Got another IWC Jones - Sadly it had a rough life....
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Got another IWC Jones - Sadly it had a rough life....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got another IWC Jones - Sadly it had a rough life....

There was no case. No dial. Broken and possibly not the original balance. No mainspring in the barrel. Center pinion, hour wheel, canon pinion missing. All of the winding and setting is gone. Regulator (The part I need the most) was missing. In other words it is the end of the line for it unless I find a parts watch that has all the stuff I need for it lol What I do like is it is marked for Bradly New York like mine. Both are model B and this one has a serial of 3662. The one I have is a serial 5054. The palate fork bridge is different....

I spent $13 with free shipping for it. Apparently the seller had only expected it to be used for some kind of steampunk craft projects.

Marrick, radger and joeuk like this.

Re: Got another IWC Jones - Sadly it had a rough life....

sorry but what is. a sarcophagus containing a corpse
    obvious that kidding
    regards enrico
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eri231 View Post
    sorry but what is. a sarcophagus containing a corpse
    obvious that kidding
    regards enrico
    LOL
    I thought that, but you put it better.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I understand thoth in one way. If I'm able even to grab scrab for smal money I do it. In my case all G.Favre-Jacot unknown movements. I take them with me just to learn and find out simularies, timeline and differences. Often the scrap helped me to find real watches or something close to a complete watch because I know now what I search. Kaliber Jones is nothing you'll find for smal money on a flew market and I've heard of some IWC cracks, that a lot of compiled movements are diving through the market. Therefore its a treasure for documentation for 13 Dollars. Okay I wouldn't put it in a case this way. I guess cleaning and a acryl case without dial would be the best. To find original parts or rebuild all missing parts is probably a mission impossible and stupid.

Kind regards Silke
    Last edited by SilkeN; August 9th, 2014 at 00:31.
    HOROLOGIST007 and radger like this.
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

The movement in the case is the Jones I have had for years. It is 100% original and complete other then the broken pointer. The uncased movement has little to no hope of ever running but it is fun to have none the less as a point to see some minor variations in design from an older variation.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Tapatalk
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

OKay I understand this and I don't memtioned that they belong into one serie. But it looks a little bit doleful this nice case and dial with the poor maltreated movement parts. May be you find a way to present them together in harmony.

Kind regards Silke

Interesting to see this first IWC caliber, rare movements, thanks for posting.

I just read that this Jones caliber was available in no less than seventeen different variations.
    One day you might weed out a Jones cal 14 or 15, twenty jewel movement, that would be something to
    see.

I do see the higher grade Jones on line now and then but usually don't buy. This was too low not to buy. There was a rather nice one on the bay...no case, dial or hands for $900. At that price I can pass.

To be honest I am getting a bit burnt out. Considering selling off most of them and just picking up a few very high end ones like Audemars, Patek and Vacheron. All vintage of course.

radger likes this.

It seems to me a little ironic to press : like and I know the feeling to pass by a watch which matches 100% and my watches are definetly no high-end. With your ability to find rare movements casemaking will be a good addition. Unfortunately its nothing to learn easy in a short while. I hope better times come along.

KInd regards Silke

Case making seems like a good option to get into but I do see how many markets are right now in the vintage world.

If you find a nice movement and make or find a non original case then there is a segment of the vintage collectors that will belittle it and look down their noses at it. I admit I do that when it is a common watch you can easily find in an original case. Like a Hamilton 910 or 992 that the percentage in original cases far outnumbers those not. But I do so in regards to my own collection. What one can afford and be happy with matters more then breaking the bank to impress others with originality. But this segment of those who demand originality must remember that sometimes there are so few of a movement and a large percentage have no cases because of the great melts. These are the movements that should some how be preserved in a case. Just because there is no case does not make it a parts movement only.

But most most people looking at recased movements are not looking at pocket watches. These are not your major watch collector but just someone who thinks it is "cool looking" and does not care about originality. This segment is the larger market and they want a wristwatch. Such is the reason we see so many recased pocket watches in wristwatch cases selling for hundreds.

The art of being a case maker to preserve a pocket watch as a pocket watch is not a sustainable idea. Being one making wristwatch cases makes more sense but it is a tough market dominated by old eastern block countries or China. These places charge less for a steel and glass conversion case then I can have a simple pocket watch made of polycarbonate.

SilkeN likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information