Got lucky today...

Thread: Got lucky today...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got lucky today...

I have stopped at this little antique store a few towns over several times, but they have never been open. I am usually in a bit of a hurry, so I dont call the "If were not here call" number. So today, I call the number on the door, and wait for the lady to come into town to open up.

Lots of handtools, typical hammers, squares, saws, etc. I ask what she has for watch tools and watches. Wow. She starts pulling out drawer after drawer of watches and tools.

The first watch I pulled out was a Wittnauer 2000. Never had one, so I laid it aside. Then a cool Benrus ladies black face that has radium looking hands. Then a neat Bulova from the 40s that has a blue crystal in it. Not a hint of blue, but BLUE. Again, it went off to the side.
    Then I pull out a LeCoultre Futurematic, missing a second hand... Never being one that had a JLC, or even seen one, I laid it aside, knowing at least that it was a good watch.
    I also pulled a nice hand pulling tool, as I didnt have one yet.
    So I take it all up to the lady and ask how much. 50 she says. I say 40, and she says ok.

So, when I get home, I start messing with them a little more. The Bulova runs and keeps good time. I will give it a cleaning one of these winter days.
    The Benrus has a broken staff or jewel. Wobbly balance anyway... Probably wont fix it, but it will look cool with my other Benruses.
    The Wittnauer would not run at first, but is now keeping pretty good time. Too bad its missing a few of the original band links, as its waay too small for my wrist.
    The JLC needs a hand and a cleaning. I peeked inside, and the balance looks good, and the rest looks pretty good as well.

So, between the Witt and the JLC, which should I keep and which should go on Ebay?? The Witt is just not my stule of watch, and from what I have read, the JLC is expensive to repair...
    RipT (who really wants to take the lady up on the "what will you give me for all the watch stuff" offer)

pej

Re: Got lucky today...

JLC might be expensive to repair if you're missing parts, but could be worth a pretty penny.. Could you post pictures? :)

Banned

Is it a Jaeger LeCoultre or just LeCoultre? I'd like to see a picture of it.

.... and yes, they can be expensive to repair, especially if done at the factory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is just marked LeCoultre on the face.

I will try to get some pics done up sometime soon. I need to take some more Ebay pics anyway, and my little mobile studio is not set up right now.

I forgot, I also got a book there by George Townsend. Its "Almost Everything You Wanted to Know about American Watches and Didnt Know Who to Ask". Its a nice little yellow covered book with some nice illustrations and family trees of the watch companies in the US. It has lots of line drawings of pocket watch movements in it and ID info.
    DM
    Last edited by Rip Tombstone; October 4th, 2010 at 03:53.

My advice: keep what you like!

The Townsend book is a 1971 private printing by Townsend. The inside cover shows mine to be 136 (with the author's autograph). It is a wonderful compilation of information on American pocket watches prior to 1900 and seems to have been used as the source of data for a number of current websites... but the book has more info than can be found online. There are a number of copies available online as no one ever seems to throw this one out
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Is it a Jaeger LeCoultre or just LeCoultre? I'd like to see a picture of it.

.... and yes, they can be expensive to repair, especially if done at the factory.
    Yeah, the geared wheel should go real nice with the sundial. Maybe you could create a "lazy susan" for mounting and calibrating the sundial...
    Last edited by Challenger; October 10th, 2010 at 06:59. Reason: spelling
    Regards, Bill
    CHALLENGER
    --------------
    Citizen JY0040-59L Blue Angels Skyhawk Chronograph
    Seiko SND255 Flightmaster Blue-Face Chronograph
    Seiko SGP Quartz Dress SS/Gold Band
    Casio WVA320DJ-1A Atomic Solar WaveCeptor Diver
    Timex Ironman Triathlon Indiglo (Won't quit)
    Bulova 1961 Automatic Dress Spiedel Band
    Elgin 1888 Size 18 3-Hand 24-Hour Pocket Watch
    Elgin 1916 Size 16 Rolled-Gold Pocket Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
    Yeah, the geared wheel should go real nice with the sundial. Maybe you could create a "lazy susan" for mounting and calibrating the sundial...
    ????
    RipT

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tombstone View Post
    ????
    RipT

I think it is in reference to ulackfocus's signature pics.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Well, if all works right, here is a pic of the LeCoultre. I am going to take it to my repair lady and see what she says. I have an Omega to take in to her anyway..

I have been wearing the Witt almost everyday since I got it, and it runs great. I threw it on the 'Bay tonite though, as its just not my cup of tea. I prefer my elegant watches more I guess.

check this site for info on your watch:
    Watchismo Times: 1953 LeCoultre Futurematic

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/br...13/future.html

here is a link o a restauration project on a futurematic.
    http://www.classicwatch.com/discus/m...tml?1169784011

kurtnz
    Last edited by kurtnz; October 14th, 2010 at 22:32.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information