WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Got myself a pair of vintage watches - but is it real???

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  gottessohn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, today I went to a vintage collectors shop and got myself a pair of watches.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Gold

One of it is a Universal Geneve. I took some photos shown below after my minor polishing with a cape cod polishing cloth. Not sure if i will degrade the gold plating but i did it already. :(

1. It is running with a bumper automatic movement as i can feel the bumper inside.
2. It is a Polerouter.
3. Crown is not signed.
4. No sign of serial number or model number or any indication of any kind.

Can anyone please advice me the model and year if possible AND is this a fake UG?

Thanks! o ya, the other vintage watch is a USSR watch - ZIM. Will share some photos some time later. :)

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brass Jewellery
Eye Material property Fashion accessory Electric blue Finger
Finger Fashion accessory Metal Brass Hand
Watch Pocket watch Brass Measuring instrument Metal
Watch Brass Close-up Fashion accessory Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a UG Polerouter, then you shouldn't have to worry, it is authentic.
And it doesn't have a bumper movement, rather a micro-rotor, for which UG made several cailbres. You'll find the serial numbers on the movement once you open up the case.

Here's a site devoted to the Polerouter which may help you to identify the model in your collection - Polerouter

#4 ·
Thanks for the site! i was searching and i found that site too.
I guess mine is either #S20217-5 1955 or #S20214-7 1956, both also gold cap with cal 138SS. just that the dial is slightly different.
Cal 138SS is the bumper with central seconds movement, I'm glad mine is that. :)

Now i need to get my case back removed so that I can see the serial number and movement hopefully :)

Anyway, do you guys think that the condition of the watch is quite bad? Any way to get the dial and crystal restored or better to leave it this way? Comments? :)
First time falling in love with vintage watches!

#9 · (Edited)
Alright, i shall go get a new crystal for it and really there's no need to polish the hands and the indexes? i kinda like the dial but would prefer to have shiny hands :)

UPDATE: unable to open the back case, the screw back is too tight, shut tight for too long i guess. And i saw a very faint marking at the case back stating the model and serial number. Mine is a Polerouter, Gold cap, #S20214-7, cal 138SS, year 1956 :)

So I've used polywatch to buff up the crystal, slightly better than before but the deep scratches are still there. Used cape cod to polishing the case back until the engraving can be seen clearly and till it is shiny. Used a normal polishing cloth to wipe the exterior, dare not use cape cod as i think the gold color will decolorise due to it being gold plated.

After polishing the crystal and case:
Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brass Metal

The lugs are 19mm and i need to source for a nice 19mm brown/black leather with a pair of new 19mm springbars. 19mm are not common i must say :(

#10 · (Edited)
19 mm not that much uncommon, you might want to consider the curve end straps which will make it look dressier than it is designed for. as for the deep scratches on crystal, just switch to a new crystal a lot available in bay, brown would match the golden case ,dark burgundy would be nice also. Sometimes 19mm lugs can accommodate also 20 mm straps depends on the make of the strap.

Stock photo from seller: Hirsch Medici Nappa Leather Curved Ended Watch Strap in Various Colours | eBay
buckle can we switched to gold plated

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
I ordered a few 20mm from HIRSCH 1 week ago and waiting for the shipment to arrival. Then I'll try to fit the 20mm into it.. meanwhile, anyone can tell me how to change the crystal of the watch? I read from somewhere that the crystal is actually screwed in from the back, meaning i need to remove the caseback and movement with the dial before i can replace the crystal. AND I have a problem, it seems like even watch repair shops are not able to help me remove the caseback with their tools because the caseback is too tight. Anyone can advise what i should do? If i can replace the crystal, the watch would be alot nicer :)

I cant find any polerouter crystal on ebay, anyone knows where can i get it? I dont think watch repair shops will have any, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.