Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

Thread: Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The king of super cars.
    Posts
    504

    Picture Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

    I decided to trade in one of my Invicta watches for this Elgin Pocket Watch, I looked up the serial # dates back to 1919.

    I do have small question since this is my first real vintage Pocket watch, How many turns of the crown is a good amount for a full wind?

    On to the Picks sorry about the quality


    Front


    Back



    Movement

  2. #2
    Member Shangas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,024

    Re: Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

    Hi, that's a pretty nice watch! Good work.

    In my experience, 12-18 turns should wind a watch up completely. Just keep turning until the crown stops. But do NOT force the crown if it doesn't want to go any further - You'll break it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

    - Sherlock Holmes.

    'The Yellow Face'.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The king of super cars.
    Posts
    504

    Re: Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Hi, that's a pretty nice watch! Good work.

    In my experience, 12-18 turns should wind a watch up completely. Just keep turning until the crown stops. But do NOT force the crown if it doesn't want to go any further - You'll break it.
    Thanks, I'm not used to mechanical timepieces so I wasn't really sure.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Shangas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,024

    Re: Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

    I just noticed on the movement photograph at the end, that the regulator needle is jammed hard over to 'FAST'. I think that's generally seen as a sign that this watch requires SERIOUS servicing before use. Take it to a watchmaker for a clean and lubrication before you start using it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

    - Sherlock Holmes.

    'The Yellow Face'.

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The king of super cars.
    Posts
    504

    Re: Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    I just noticed on the movement photograph at the end, that the regulator needle is jammed hard over to 'FAST'. I think that's generally seen as a sign that this watch requires SERIOUS servicing before use. Take it to a watchmaker for a clean and lubrication before you start using it.
    No its not that, my friend who I traded with, had gotten the watch serviced a month ago. When I got it home it was running 10 minutes behind. I had to adjust it to the fast position but don't worry its keeping great time only a minute behind. Probably needed a breaking period.

  7. #6
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,158

    Re: Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

    Any Elgin that runs is worth at least two or three Invictas so you got a good deal!

    ... well, that might not ALWAYS be true.

    Wear it and you will discover pocket watches are just so amazingly legible.

    Thanks for the post!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The king of super cars.
    Posts
    504

    Re: Got this in a trade yesterday what do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Any Elgin that runs is worth at least two or three Invictas so you got a good deal!

    ... well, that might not ALWAYS be true.

    Wear it and you will discover pocket watches are just so amazingly legible.

    Thanks for the post!
    Thanks I agree, but in a strange way, I do miss the Invicta I traded away but then again I had my eye on that Pocket Watch for a while plus I saved $150 bucks.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •