Got a vintage second hand watch, could anyone please advice me of age and value? *pics*
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Got a vintage second hand watch, could anyone please advice me of age and value? *pics*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got a vintage second hand watch, could anyone please advice me of age and value? *pics*

Hi !

Thank your for your time and attention.

I bought this second hand a few days ago since I liked its 1950s design.

According to the seller it is in fact from the 1950s and it have never been worn, it runs strong and seem to keep time resonable well for a mechanical vintage watch.

It looks to me like a brand new watch, but there was no box or paperwork included in the sell.

Name:  unnamed1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  unnamed2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  24.5 KB

Then a friend said he recognized the brand and thought it might be valuble, its a "Milus" brand.

I can find some very expensive timepieces in the present Milus webpage but is it really the same brand, my friend did mention something about the brand beeing "ressurected". I paid USD $130 for it including P&P, was that a reasonable price?

Could anyone here please provide me with some info about:

1. Its age?
    2. Its market value (should I insure it?)
    3. Any other "good to know" details?

Thank you!
    Juanjo_NY and busmatt like this.

Re: Got a vintage second hand watch, could anyone please advice me of age and value? *pics*

Below is a brief history of Milus. Yes, 1950's. Without seeing the back or movement I would assume it uses a good quality 17 jewel hand wind movement from a company like AS housed in a chrome plated base metal case. Nice looking fairly common sport watch style that was popular from the late 1930's through the mid 1950's. For value you should look at closed sales of similar watches on Ebay.

Google Translate

Unless the watch had been serviced recently it is probably long overdue for some new oil to replace the old. Welcome to WUS and enjoy your attractive vintage watch! I enjoy a Sandoz hand wind that dates back to the 1950's.
    Last edited by John MS; July 22nd, 2015 at 15:35.
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Got a vintage second hand watch, could anyone please advice me of age and value? *pics*

Thank you!

I have not find any similar watches on eBay the prices there on the few I find seem to differ between $120 - $1000, a wide range...

Where can I find "closed sales"?

Could it be from the 40s?

Could a pic on the movement increase the possibility to date or value it?
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A movement picture always helps.
    The one thing that strikes me odd is that it has drilled though lugs. If it's original, I don't think I ever seen that on a vintage watch of that era, but I'm still learning. It does look like 50's
    busmatt likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

I have no idea.

Never thought about the drilled lugs, does anyone else know?

Was that uncommon of the 50s?
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySweden1 View Post
    I have no idea.

Never thought about the drilled lugs, does anyone else know?

Was that uncommon of the 50s?

Not sure, I haven't come across any, but that doesn't mean much. Also, being some 60 years old and running strong, even though it's been in a draw all that time, is strange to me. The oils must have coagulated, unless he's had it worked on. I would get a movement picture.

You can also post this in the vintage forum, they would know.
    busmatt likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

without knowing anything about the watch, what I can tell you from my computer is that is a BEAUTIFUL watch.

I'd put a distressed brown leather band and wear it in good heath.
    "A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never quite sure."

Never been worn, get it serviced NOW.
    John MS likes this.

Lovely watch. If it's really from the 50s and never worn, then it needs a service immediately if you plan to keep it running. There won't be a drop of lubricant left in it by now, and you're grinding things together that aren't built for it. Imagine driving around in a 1950s car that has never had an oil change.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

This advertisement is dated 1952, also a watch withndrilled lugs (upper right lug)

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  101.8 KB

Will move thread to the more suitable forum.
    busmatt, John MS, bobbee and 1 others like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information