got watch fixed just not right need help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vbomega

Thread: got watch fixed just not right need help

got watch fixed just not right need help

I sent a us watch co watch in to get fixed.they said it needed a new balance staff ,a jewel,cleaning and some hands.ok no prob ($193).The watch was early us watch co before they got sued from waltham for the name.nice watch not sure what it was worth and it was lever set I think.had the lever by 2 and 3.any way new watch came in today.same case still has the notch in it for the lever.totally a different movement. no more lever and its a waltham numbers put it around 1904.is this better?I called the guy and he said send it back and he will put it back to what it was and my money back.(not sure how true that is)he also has 2 of my key winds that need around 400 each to fix.should I send my watch back and get it put back.not sure y it went from a few parts to a hole new movement. its this first watch I ever sent in to get fixed and got screwed I think.any idea what I should do? thanks nick

Re: got watch fixed just not right need help

here is my key wind to get fixed email

First off: I pride myself in being able to repair old relics, I make a lot of people happy.. It has to be my way..

The Illinois

1. Wrong dial..... Put on correct dial

2. Balance broken...Replace

3.Hspg. broken... Replace

4. Mspg.....Replace

5. Pallet fork... gone - replace

6. 4 broken n jewels- These are pressed in- some can not be replace- Change back plate in order to restore... Would chg. Ser. No.

7. Clean, oil, adjust $398.50

Value after restoration $920.00

Elgin

1. Most inside parts broken or lost, movement forced together - broken case closing..

2. Balance broken

3. Clean, oil adjust

4. Would have change back plate which would chg. Ser. No. $386.50

Value after restoration........ $750.00

Nick,

This is what I have to do..

If you don't want them fixed my way- I will return to you as they are... This is entirely up to you.. I don't think there is any person that can do this nationwide... I have been a Watch Repair for 65 years....

Your total for restoring would be $791.50...

1. is Illinois..... $398.50

2. Elgin...........$386.50

3. Postage........$8.50

TOTAL..........$791.50
    Last edited by nickj67; September 20th, 2012 at 03:56.

Get your watches back and find someone else.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The "value after restoration" estimates are 3-4x too high IMO.

As Ron said, get them back and find someone else. Despite what the guy says, there are a LOT of people able to do this kind of work.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I am curious why plate bezel jewels can't be replaced with friction jewels?
    DragonDan likes this.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vbomega View Post
    I am curious why plate bezel jewels can't be replaced with friction jewels?
    They can be, although collectors typically don't accept it as a proper repair. Depending on how sensitive you are about such things, most old bezel-set plate jewels are typically clear to light pink, whereas Seitz jewels are a consistent deep red-pink color. Also, putting in a Seitz jewel requires reaming the setting such that it will never again accept a bezel-set jewel.

There are watchmakers out there who have large stocks of bezel set jewels and the ability to replace them. Learning how to do it isn't difficult(I've done it) but finding an exact or even workable replacement often is.

Also, I'll add that changing plates around(as the repairman here is suggesting) is NEVER an acceptable repair. Most collectors will concede that when a movement is so damaged that it can't reasonably be repaired, it's better to just find a complete movement with which to replace it than it is to swap around plates and other parts with different serial numbers.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Ok I will get them back.what should I do about the watch he fixed?should I send it back to get my money back and hope he puts the old back in or just keep it?anyone know someone that can fix them that you trust?not having good luck with that part.first run they wanted 1200 for the watch that guy did for 193. thanks for the help!

Thread Information