Got a watch from my inlaws, I'm not a pocket watch guy... is it worth anything? *pics*

Thread: Got a watch from my inlaws, I'm not a pocket watch guy... is it worth anything? *pics*

Got a watch from my inlaws, I'm not a pocket watch guy... is it worth anything? *pics*

Here is it. I looked around on ebay, but I couldn't find the exact watch.

Name:  20111009115038.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  291.2 KB

Name:  20111009114901.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  263.0 KB

Name:  20111009114946.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  222.6 KB

Name:  20111009114915.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  274.1 KB

Name:  20111009115013.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  272.3 KB

Re: Got a watch from my inlaws, I'm not a pocket watch guy... is it worth anything? *pics*

Welcome to the forum.
    It is a 6 size ladies Waltham model 1890 hunter Seaside J made about 1898. It is a 7 jewel, unadjusted pendant set watch. Very common as more than 237.000 were made of this variation. The case is a modest quality (but still attractive) gold filled, and from Philidelphia Watch Case Co.
    It looks to be in nice condition, but you should have the movement serviced before using it.
    Valuations are not done in this forum as explained in the sticky posts, but you can find many similar (7 jewel hunter 6 size) on ebay completed listings.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Re: Got a watch from my inlaws, I'm not a pocket watch guy... is it worth anything? *pics*

Is it worth ANYTHING?

Yes.

But I think what you're really asking, is "Is it worth MUCH?"

No.

Pocketwatches are never worth the huge amounts of money that people think they are. Not unless they're truly exceptional for one or more reasons.

This is a lower-grade watch with a gold-filled case. So the value drops.

It's a woman's watch. Which means the value drops again.

So if you're hoping to sell it for a big profit...that ain't gonna happen.

But if, on the other hand, you want it as a timepiece and you want to keep it as a family heirloom to pass down to daughters...then it's worth something. In sentimental value, if nothing else.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information