Gotham Watch
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Gotham Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gotham Watch

Hello,
    I am a new member who has always been interested in watches. Digging through a box I found a watch that is gold colored bracelet, case and dial. It is marked Gotham, 17 Jewels and Swiss on the dial. The movement indicates 17 Jewels, Marnic Watch Co. SWC and it has a shield shaped like the one with SWC in it, only it has the letters AS instead.
    Any idea of history, manufacture date. Are these considered valuable or junk?
    Thanks

Re: Gotham Watch

Quote Originally Posted by gnorman19 View Post
    Hello,
    I am a new member who has always been interested in watches. Digging through a box I found a watch that is gold colored bracelet, case and dial. It is marked Gotham, 17 Jewels and Swiss on the dial. The movement indicates 17 Jewels, Marnic Watch Co. SWC and it has a shield shaped like the one with SWC in it, only it has the letters AS instead.
    Any idea of history, manufacture date. Are these considered valuable or junk?
    Thanks
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

The movement signed "AS" could to contain A. Schild (ebauche manufacturer) made movement. However, because the watch it also signed "SWC" it could be by a company called Schild Watch
    Co. not connected with movement manufacture. You'd need to post a photo of the movement in order to positively identify the caliber. I can not find Marnic Watch in the Mikrolisk register but
    a quick ebay search shows that Nicolet Watch Co. in Tramelan-Dessus, Switzerland used ebauches signed Marnic Watch Co.

You can also read other posts about Gotham watches HERE, HERE, HERE and quite a number of others. Just use the "Search" function on the top right of each page.
    Nobody knows Everything, but Everybody knows Something!

Hello and thank you Old Navman! I will attempt to get a picture up ASAP. I am not sure if I made myself clear in my first post. The movement has a shield like outline with the letters AS in it. I have seen that outline before and it had the letters SWC inside. My watch, in one line says the "Marnic Watch Co. SWC" . Also has the numbers which I just noted 1525 and 1526, also Unadjusted Swiss. I will investigate the links you kindly supplied!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Attached Photos
    Name:  IMG_3248CA.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  1.34 MB

Name:  IMG_3251AC.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  1.37 MB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Yes, it's an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1525:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1525

Hartmut Richter
    Dan S and gnorman19 like this.

Thank you Sir! Need to look up the info in english. Mainly concerned about the relative value, ie. I can begin watch disassembly on it or save as a valuable historic item ... I believe it is the first one!
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; 6 Days Ago at 22:56. Reason: Obviously intended as one thread but split in two

The english version of that website can be reached by pressing the little UK flag in the menu towards the top. As for value, I am afraid we don't give valuations on this forum. The best estimate can be gained by looking at completed auctions of comparatively no-name watches with this or an equivalent movement (manual, no additional features, generic) and case material on fleabay. Good luck!

Hartmut Richter
    gnorman19 likes this.

Got it and thanks again. Looking on the fleabay good idea. Can you tell what seems to need to be done to remove the stem and crown. Want to clean at least the case and straps up. Straps look alot better. Is it that tiny screw above where the stem might be? I need to get some small screwdrivers and tweezers and a microscope...

Quote Originally Posted by gnorman19 View Post
    Got it and thanks again. Looking on the fleabay good idea. Can you tell what seems to need to be done to remove the stem and crown. Want to clean at least the case and straps up. Straps look alot better. Is it that tiny screw above where the stem might be? I need to get some small screwdrivers and tweezers and a microscope...
    That is very likely the stem removal screw, but don’t loosen that screw very much. Just a half twist, check if the stem slides loose. If not, another half twist on the screw and check again, etc., until the stem comes out.
    gnorman19 likes this.

...and make sure the stem is in the setting (rather than the winding) position when you start. It makes it easier to put it back in.

Hartmut Richter
    gnorman19 and feelasopher like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information