GP pocket watch verify?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By HOROLOGIST007

Thread: GP pocket watch verify?

iht

GP pocket watch verify?

What do you think about this? Redial or genuine? 1920s as the seller claims?

Old 0 900 Silver Art Deco Girard Perregaux Open Face Pocket Swiss Watch CA 1923 | eBay

I'm looking for a hunter case mainly, but this one came up in my search.

Re: GP pocket watch verify?

Hi
    I only looked at the dial, but I think its original.

That said, this seller has about the lowest score I ever saw.!!!!
    Adam
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; May 21st, 2015 at 18:29.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I agree with Adam but look on the "little ground wheel" (direkt translation may be wrong) the rubie is replaced in a just functial manner. The srew for the winder is much used. The movement itself is a midgrade 15 jewel movement and typical for the good swiiss average of watches for use within this aera. I don't see any reason for this or less money to look after a watch in perfect condition but without a famous name on the dial.

Kind regard Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post
    I agree with Adam but look on the "little ground wheel" (direkt translation may be wrong) the rubie is replaced in a just functial manner. The srew for the winder is much used. The movement itself is a midgrade 15 jewel movement and typical for the good swiiss average of watches for use within this aera. I don't see any reason for this or less money to look after a watch in perfect condition but without a famous name on the dial.

Kind regard Silke
    I think that you are translating "Kleinbodenrad" a little too literally - in English, it's just called the third wheel.

[Which for the uninitiated is the one between the gear holding the seconds hand (fourth wheel) and the one that in a subseconds movement is in the middle, or in any kind of movement comes after the mainsping barrel (second wheel). If you are still wondering where the first wheel went to, it's the mainsping barrel itself since that has a toothed edge.]

Hartmut Richter
    SilkeN likes this.

iht

Quote Originally Posted by SilkeN View Post

Kind regard Silke
    Thank you Are the screws and the wheel difficult to repair or to source parts for? Sorry I have no idea!

As for your comment on it having a mid grade movement, do you mean it's otherwise not worth the asking price if it weren't a girard Perregaux?

Thanks for everyone's input!

iht

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    Hi
    I only looked at the dial, but I think its original.

That said, this seller has about the lowest score I ever saw.!!!!
    Adam
    Yeah, I saw the feedback score, one of which referred to a refinished watch, which is why I asked here even though I thought the dial looks ok.

Quote Originally Posted by iht View Post
    Yeah, I saw the feedback score, one of which referred to a refinished watch, which is why I asked here even though I thought the dial looks ok.
    To me dial is correct.
    personally I think price is high, but I have not researched that manufacturers pocket watch at all
    a
    SilkeN likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Yes, I think its the name on the dial why they ask this price. GP makes extraordinary movements but "butter and bread" watches also. In this case the movement is in a center region a visibily repaired one. You only have a picture and the text of the seller that its in working conition even if he had nearly all ebay stars. It may be everything all right but who knows. I've very shortly looked within the bay which prices they call out for GP and "sold articles" and it's a loveley watch but not a bargain.

I can't see in your head and feel your attention. The prices I pay for watches have a lot to do with my stomach "I want THIS peace" or with my core collection. In this case I guess without the name GP you'll et a simular watch without repair for a smaler price. If I especially want a GP, I would look for a "typical" one may be with the art deco movement or a fine finish. I've problems to bring the price and this watch together but this is very personal. There are several reasons why we don't value here and I'm not hunting GP's but like watches out of this aera.

Kind regards Silke
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Thread Information