Grandads Waltham Pocket watch

Thread: Grandads Waltham Pocket watch

DOW

Grandads Waltham Pocket watch

Can anyone tell me anything about Grandads watch. It seems to be unusual in that it it has an enamelled case. I have seen cases engraved but not enamelled. Case is Illinois Watch Case Co no 2480631 (2 plates of gold wear for 20 yrs), and the Waltham movement no 18302768.
    Thanks for your help. Grandad was born in 1886, so was it a 21st present, or made later, or it might be to celebrate a wedding or job promotion.
    Regards
    David D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by DOW; April 20th, 2010 at 09:18.
    Regards
    David D
    1966 Breitling Cosmonaute.
    1985 Heuer Pilot Quartz Chronograph
    1909 Waltham Half Hunter with Moon ALD case

Re: Grandads Waltham Pocket watch

Hi David.

Your grandfather's watch is a 7-jewel, 16-size Waltham Model 1908. This particular watch was manufactured in 1912. Your grandfather was 26 when this watch was made, so it's hardly a 21st birthday present. Of course, there's nothing to say that he bought this watch in the year that it was made. It could've been lying in the jeweller's shop for 10 years before he snapped it up, unless you can think of a specific event that happened to him when he was 26 that might warrant a new pocket watch.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

DOW

Thanks Shangas, you've helped with a previous posting of mine. Thanks for you time.
    Is the case unusual, it being enamelled? 7 jewel presumambly means a lower end of the market timepiece.
    Regards
    David D
    Regards
    David D
    1966 Breitling Cosmonaute.
    1985 Heuer Pilot Quartz Chronograph
    1909 Waltham Half Hunter with Moon ALD case

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think I've ever seen an enamelled case, so I couldn't comment on it.

7j watches were considered fair-quality entry-level pieces. It should keep decent time once it's been serviced.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Enameling is rare on U.S. men's, but was done for ladies quite a lot. So that is a valuable case. It is common to find cheap original movements in nice cases. In 1908 cases and movements were sold separately. It amazes me how durable enamel fired on to gold can be. Gold worn and scratched yet enamelling fine. In 1932+ Gruen did enamelling of presentation watches as a cost saving compared to hand engraving.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information