Grandfather's watch - Lys - swiss made
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By Mirius

Thread: Grandfather's watch - Lys - swiss made

Grandfather's watch - Lys - swiss made

Hellos all,

yet another old watch, heirloom from my grandfather, thought not exactly a wrist watch I think...

The dial is in bad shape, hands (hour and minutes only) are blued steel and had lume that is almost all gone, also numeral had and still have some lume (that actually does glow a tiny bit lol) On dial has:

LYS under 12 o'clock
    swiss made at 6 o'clock

Movement only has: 15 jewels, swiss

It was working some years ago, but now the main spring is broken, other then that the movement is fine, though a new crystal is needed.
    Now the case only has 2 little "holes" where, I was told, there would be 2 half-doors that would close and protect the front, so it would be in some kind of "box". Does anyone know what kind of watch is it?

The brand Lys at Mikrolist does come up as :

Lys Ralco SA La Chaux-de-Fonds, Schweiz; registriert am 28.1.1939

The movement I already tried the famous Ranfft site with no luck. Can anyone help identify the movement and possibly a dating, I beliebe it to be from 1920/30's maybe?

Pictures:

Thank you.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Grandfather's watch - Lys - swiss made

The movement is probably by Fontainemelon (FHF). The dating seems correct.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: FHF 30

Hartmut Richter

Thank you very much for the information, probably on the dial side plate there will be engraved the FHF 30, but for now I can't remove the hands, no tool for that yet, to really confirm, but it dos seem to be FHF 30.

My best regards

P.S.: Does anyone also have an idea of how the watch would be with the 2 half-doors? Was it to be a desk watch or bedroom etc?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Since the crown is at the bottom, it may have been intended for use as a dashboard clock, to be clipped into a fitting and removed when not driving/flying/doing-whatever-the-greater-dashboard-holder-(i.e.-vehicle)-did.....

Hartmut Richter
    AudaxPT likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The stem is very short so I would think it perhaps more likely that it was in a case such as a travel clock or a belt watch.
    AudaxPT likes this.

Thank you for the added information.

I am inclined to think it was then a travel clock. Talked with mum, she does remember my grandfather using it and also my grandmother and that it had 2 little doors that closed in front, but can't remember exactly has she was very young. Nevertheless it is always fun to search/research and now I'm lucky to have time pieces from both grandparents from both sides of the family and from my partners side too!

Thank you gentlemen!