Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By CC Texas
  • 4 Post By Tick Talk
  • 1 Post By laikrodukas
  • 1 Post By CC Texas

Thread: Grandparent's Graduation Gift - 8 pics

Grandparent's Graduation Gift - 8 pics

Hello friends!
    I graduated in December, and ever since then I have been wanting to share my present my dad's parents gave me. Life has just been super busy post-grad.
    Enjoy the history! :)

1881 AWC Keystone - Great Great Grand's pocket-watch with a picture of him and his wife. This shadowbox was always displayed at my grandparent's with the railroad Elgin inside, but it should have been this. No cracks in the dial.
    Name:  IMG_1188.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  111.9 KBName:  IMG_1187.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  128.7 KBName:  IMG_1197.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  118.8 KB

1908 Elgin Grade 291 - Great Grand
    Name:  IMG_1195.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  118.9 KBName:  IMG_1193.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  149.6 KB

1919 Elgin Grade 455 - Great Grand - I also have his Vibroplex Telegraph key. I think his occupation was something to do with servicing water tanks alongside the railroads.
    Sorry for the bad picture. The case back screws on pretty tight and I don't want to get it off again.
    Name:  IMG_1194.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  136.5 KBName:  IMG_8107.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  97.2 KB

1929 Hamilton Grade 912 14k - Not in the family.
    Name:  IMG_1190.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  134.0 KBName:  IMG_1192.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  131.4 KBName:  IMG_1191.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  128.7 KB
    Quite an award being 14k and 1929. All I can find on J.E. Majure is several links to an old Texas newspaper, unreadable without paying. 1953, 59, 61, 65. He might have been a doctor and victim of a robbery. My grandmother thought it was bought at a garage sale decades ago. Could that metal dial clean up any? It's like there are a bunch of specs and scratches, and I'm not sure if that's damage or dirt.
    I hope to have them all serviced at some point, I just dunno which one first! :P
    Thanks for reading and have a great day!
    badbackdan, bsshog40, trim and 3 others like this.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

Re: Grandparent's Graduation Gift - 8 pics

Quote Originally Posted by CC Texas View Post

Name:  IMG_1191.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  128.7 KB
    Quite an award being 14k and 1929. All I can find on J.E. Majure is several links to an old Texas newspaper, unreadable without paying. 1953, 59, 61, 65.
    Joseph Elva Majure or Joe E. Majure appeared in the 1920 and 1930 Federal Census at Jacksonville, Texas, where he was listed as a life insurance agent. Southwestern Life was founded in that state in 1903.
    Name:  Majure A.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  121.7 KB
    Name:  Majure B.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  82.9 KB
    Name:  Majure C.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  55.6 KB
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Quote Originally Posted by CC Texas View Post
    Hello friends!
    I graduated in December, and ever since then I have been wanting to share my present my dad's parents gave me. Life has just been super busy post-grad.
    Enjoy the history! :)

1881 AWC Keystone - Great Great Grand's pocket-watch with a picture of him and his wife. This shadowbox was always displayed at my grandparent's with the railroad Elgin inside, but it should have been this. No cracks in the dial.
    Name:  IMG_1188.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  111.9 KBName:  IMG_1187.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  128.7 KBName:  IMG_1197.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  118.8 KB

I hope to have them all serviced at some point, I just dunno which one first! :P
    The 1881 AWC Keystone of course. And that photo just beyond coolness
    CC Texas likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank-you very much, Tick Talk! Nice to have the dates and Jacksonville. I only had Harligen, TX from the newspapers. One of my great great grandmothers lived there (J-ville) at one point so that makes it's story of being bought at a garage sale by her more likely.

Thanks, laikrodukas! I really treasure that photo along with the watches. My grandparents are the real treasure though.

Is the 6 in a shield on the inside of case back on the AWC for 6 oz. coin silver? What I'm seeing from an 1884 catalog. Pretty heavy. Looking at my notes from my initial research, I have it as a Dueber coin silver case. Also, is the movement marked 'Keystone' because it is not a named grade? Shouldn't it be Wm. Ellery?
    Tick Talk likes this.
    "A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
    “When your watch gets out of order you have a choice of two things to do: throw it in the fire or take it to the watch-tinker. The former is the quickest.” -Mark Twain

Thread Information