Gruen 0 size lady p.w.

Thread: Gruen 0 size lady p.w.

Gruen 0 size lady p.w.

There were 2 of the little o.f. and hunter style production lady watches. 1904-20? The early one very rare is by gruen hi q. supplier Aeby. Example here is 126989 Madretsch 1907 gift hunter. The 141185 o.f. model also rare is by Le Coultre one of the Dietrich Gruen high grade watch movements suppliers. Example here is 1914 gift open face. Photo by seller. Both in fine gold Gruen made cases. Also added serial 7000 a unique 10 1/2 ligne Gruen miniature. These 3 well represent the smallest Gruen p.w. selection.

Added (not mine) what I think is best early w.w. movement. 8 3/4 ligne size from a platinum w.w. of maybe 1925. I think movement is about a 1918 design? Notice its serial is 146644; a number sequence applied to the Dietrich Gruen high grades.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; May 19th, 2011 at 05:54.

Re: Gruen 0 size lady p.w.

nice looking movement

Hello Art,

I'm digging this one up as I'm interested in the LeCoultre aspect of the second imaged Gruen watch. I notice that the design of the bridge that is holding the ratchet wheel is quite distinctive. It is pointed out that this watch follows the serial number pattern for the Dietrich Gruen high-grade PW. It also is remarkably similar to the 23 jewel high-grade Dietrich Gruen. Images are here with the DG on page 39. Others that are similar are the ultra and the ultra-ultrathin on p38, the cal 47 on page 31 and the cal 93 on page 30. Is this similarity enough to warrant the supposition that these are also of LeCoultre origin?
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Supposition is the right word about these nice little movement origins. Meylan is a possible source as well. I was guessing LeCoultre because a Dietrich with similar looking plate forms was found marked LeCoultre. So your guesses are probably better than mine which are no better informed now than a year ago. In fact I find it interesting to discover unexpectedly nice Gruen unknowns frequently. Like the little 10 size Assmann Gruen p.w. reprted here. Appreciate the reminder to look at the Gruen catalog which surprises with parts available for movements I thought were not Gruen cataloged standard products. Although frustrating the variety and surprises from Gruen are fun.

Anyone identify maker of this ~0 size hunter Gruen gold cased one recently acquired with Aegler (Rolex), Omega, Sandoz, Elgin, Aeby, Meylan? now have as well.

Courtesy of the seller, I'm posting these photos. This looks like a Gruen cal 93 although I am unsure on the size. It also looks like the Gruen labeled movements higher up in the thread. It is marked Haas Neveux which as far as I can tell was a brand from the late 1800s up to about 1930 when (per some reading on the internet) the company fell victim to the Great Depression. This has the key-less works that matches to the 157 and 179 calibers that Gruen and Alpina used. The 157 is better known for as the Quadron. This begs the question, was Haas Neveux making movements or were they reworking ébauche movement and then finishing them as theirs?
    Name:  haas_neveux_pillar.JPG
Views: 242
Size:  50.9 KB
    Name:  haas_neveux_bridge.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  63.1 KB
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thread Information