Gruen 420SS parts

Thread: Gruen 420SS parts

Gruen 420SS parts

I was given a 420SS today, and proceeded to tear it down to see if I could get it running. Initially it looked like a lost cause, but I managed to get it to run quite well. Once I got the fuzz out of the second hand drive, it ran like a champ. Only problem, the screw in the winding bridge, that retains the stem is ruined. I am wondering if this screw is used in multiple movements? Jules Borel still has quite a few parts for the old Gruens and it appears they might carry this part, even though it is not specifically listed for the 420SS. If anyone knows, I would really appreciate it.

This is the screw I need. Pictured at the end of the winding stem.

You can see in this photo, the screw is broken, and the hole it goes in, is quite chewed up.

The winding bridge is chewed up on the top, but still good on the underside. With a new screw it should work fine.

It should look something like the one in this picture

Name:  gruen stem release.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  17.5 KB

Re: Gruen 420SS parts

These are VERY nice movements, well made and well designed.

The dial you have is worn but is a Pan American dial. Which case do you have with it?

Are you sure the set lever is also OK?

Gruen called these 'detent' screws, most others call them 'set lever' screws.

Anyway this part is shared with Gruen Calibres: 405, 406, 410, 411, 420, 421, 425, 426.

Scrap 405s etc. are very easy to find, and have many other useful bits for the 420 (like the detent/set lever).

I should warn you that there is an old model of the 405/6 that is not compatible. New model 405/6 and all the rest are 100% interchangeable.

It is also worth trying Tom from dashto - a scrap movement is a good investment.
    Last edited by trim; January 23rd, 2011 at 06:57.

Thanks for the reply. It seems to be a very nice movement. The set lever looks to be fine. I need to check and make sure the threads are still good in the set lever, but I suspect they are. I have the movement completely torn down at the moment. Once I got it running, I pulled it apart to get this screw out. I was not able to get the stem back in, with the screw in that condition. I have already found a parts movement on ebay. It looks to be a 411SS. Someone is selling it for steam punk parts... Hopefully I can pick it up cheap. Looks like the whole winding bridge might transfer over. Based on your reply, I can also buy the part new from Jules Borel. They have it in stock for several of the calibres you listed. I was really please to just be given this watch. I actually got it from a pawn broker. I help them determine watch values, and in exchange they throw me a scrap now and then.
    Last edited by roversgonemad; January 23rd, 2011 at 07:06.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice score.

Payment is a set of photos here when you're done.

This is the case. It is a 98422. I don't know for sure, but I think this one is also a Pan American. The lines on the case are still pretty crisp. I think with a little cleaning and a new crystal, the case will look quite good. The hands were not in bad shape either. The hour and minute hands are blued, and little scrub and touch up bluing, they will be like new. The dial is the only part that is not so good. I am going to keep watching ebay for a replacement.