Gruen 552 RSS

Thread: Gruen 552 RSS

Gruen 552 RSS

After browsing the forum a little, I have been able to get a better idea of what my grandfather's watch is and when it was made. I have read that this series movement was made in the 1960s, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what kind of pricing these watches were at around the time of purchase. Of course, it is not something that is going to leave my collection, but it is always good to know ball park value on things you consider to be prized possessions.

I was also wondering, can anyone tell me what they would consider a reasonable cost to service this watch? It has been sitting in the closet for decades and needs a refresh...

Thanks!

Re: Gruen 552 RSS

Posting a picture would help out, and service can vary depending on what it needs, especially if you need a hard-to-find part.
    I don't know of any resource that might have old catalogs or ads for Gruens from that era showing original prices. Gruen in the 60s was not an expensive watch. I have a couple for that era myself!
    "My grail showed up today"

Photos attached, I apologize for the glare in advance. It reads GRUEN Precision on top, 17 jewels on bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by zw1009; May 15th, 2010 at 19:08. Reason: more photos

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zw1009 View Post
    Photos attached, I apologize for the glare in advance. It reads GRUEN Precision on top, 17 jewels on bottom
    Beautiful watch in very nice condition. Looks like a textured dial, too. A little polywatch (or a light machine buff) will make that crystal look like new. Basic service varies according to where you live, but a reputable repair that works on vintages could go charge $130 or much less or little more. There are some fine repair places on the Internet, too. I just had a great experience using Blake at ScotchWatch.com for an old Chronograph Suisse.

How is it running now?
    "My grail showed up today"

Yep, textured dial is right, and you're right the crystal is a little beat, but still in repairable condition. Thanks for taking a look, I just want to get as much info on it as I can.

Picture Re: Gruen 552 RSS

I like these "linen" textured dials that Gruen did in their "barely hanging on as a company" days.

I restored a watch identical to yours....almost... the movement was a slightly different caliber. Mine is a 510SS. HOWEVER, I restored another Gruen with a similar dial, but not as nicely done linen that had a 552 RSS movement.

Our dials are identical (I have uploaded mine as an attachment). They appear to not age too much over the years. Either that or we both got lucky. In this one rare case, I chose not to have the dial restored. It would be silly.

Our movements are different. For my restoration I overhauled the movement (cleaned, lubricated), put in a new mainspring, new crystal. It needs a new case, but this is just a "beater" kind of Gruen for me as I wear it doing yard work (if I have to wear Gruen for yard work, might as well be this one).

By the way, for the crystal, I used a GS Flexo 30.3 mm or a PHD 27 3/4.

Our watches were just beyond the time period that Gruen stopped making movements and started using ebauche. The 552 movement is actually an ST1686 also made as an AS1686. Take a look at on best movement website ever made....
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Standard_1686
    Compare this movement with yours and they should match. So this puts your watch at about 1960.

You have some good new in ability to repair your watch. The ST, AS movements are plentiful and easy to get parts for. Should you wish to keep your watch running for a long time, you need not worry about ability to get parts.

My 510SS was made by Gruen (one of the very last). If you compare the movements 510 & 552 , they are almost the same, but not exactly. They are both 11.5"'

Both our watches are good modern era 17 jewel sweep movements. They'll run fine and I think continue for quite some time.

While we both have nice Gruens, I have to honestly say they were inexpensive in their day. I spent the time to do a restoration of mine which is an investment. So, just because they were not the top of the line Gruens, I don't believe it should detract from ourenjoyment of the watch.

Enjoy your Gruen watch!

And, if you find yourself wanting to learn more about Gruens, see Gruen watches, talk to other Gruen nuts, come on over to the Gruen Enthusiasts site. I don't know the rules about posting direct links to stuff, so if you enter something like "gruen wristwatch Enthusiasts" into google, you should be able to find the homepage pretty quickly. I believe there was more than one of us that posted a similar watch there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information